Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How do you adjust your scope? >

How do you adjust your scope?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How do you adjust your scope?

Old 12-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default How do you adjust your scope?

Whats up guys,

I was wondering, do you guys alway adjust your scopes when going for the shot. If the animal is at 150, do you set your scope at 150 or just leave it at 100 or what ever it was set to?

Just looking for different opinions.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:51 PM

Default RE: How do you adjust your scope?

Are you talking about elevation clicks, or a parallax setting? Most centerfires should be plenty flat enough that you wouldn't need to make any adjustments at 150 yards. And even with a slug gun you could just aim a little high. Both my slug gun and muzzle loader have a point blank range of 150 or a bit more if sighted in correctly.

Will they be pinpoint accurate at every range? No, but they don't need to be to hit a deer in the vitals at those ranges. As long as you don't have more than 3 inches of drop or rise out to that distance you should be able to aim center of mass and make a kill shot. That is why they call it point blank range. If anything you could aim a hair high or low if you needed to.

For target or varmint shooting I like a mil dot reticle myself.

Paul
Old 12-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I sight my guns in so that the bullet will rise no more than three inches above line of sight (cross hairs). So for a typical cartridge firing a stream lined bullet at 3000 fps this translates to about 2.5 inches high at 100 yards.
If you hold dead center of an 8" target (about the size of a deers lungs) you will simply hit the top half of that target at 100 yards, hit the center at about 225 yards and then hit the bottom half at 300 yards. Regardless of where the bullet hits a deers lungs it is still a quick fatal shot. Out to aproximately 300 yards there is no need to hold high or low since you are aiming at a target of 8 inches in diameter or larger.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

My approach is the same as BigBull's. Once sighted in to hit 3" high at 100 yards, I do not fool with the zero again unless it changes due to weather, or some other influence.

I had one rifle that I zeroed in when I bought it and mounted the scope, in 1964. Inever changed the scope setting for the next 22 years. I just fired it once every year at the range before going hunting justto verify that the zero had not changed, and it hadn't!It always killed its' deer with the nextshot. Two shots per season from that rifle for 22 years, 22 deer........
Old 12-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies, I was wondering what different people do for thier personal set ups.