Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Caliber and bullet choice for Deer. Why so heavy? >

Caliber and bullet choice for Deer. Why so heavy?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber and bullet choice for Deer. Why so heavy?

Old 12-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Caliber and bullet choice for Deer. Why so heavy?

Paul, if you got shot square on the shoulder bone,you are saying it won't knock you down?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:11 PM

Basic physics and everything I have read about terminal ballistics. In order to have enough energy to nock a target down it would have to impart the same amount of force to you when you shot it, even more when you consider the distance traveled and area of the projectile.

I have shot peices of fire wood with my slug gun using a 600 grn bullet that is supposed to deliver 3,000 ft/lbs of energy and it doesn't even knock it over. How is it going to knock a 150 lb deer on the ground? And why doesn't it knock me down, I only weigh 130 lbs?

We just talked about terminal ballistics here a while ago in the .410 thread with links to data explaining the myths associated with it.

Here is one of them.
http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/myths.html

It talks about exactly what you are describing. Myth busters even did a show on it where they hung a pig on a mount that barely held it up. The only gun that moved it was a 12 guage, and it barely moved it enough to knock it off the hook it was balanced on.

I have seen deer and other animals buckle and drop at the shot, or jump and fall. I have never seen one get knocked off thier feet and pushed across the ground. I used to think the same thing until I started reading about it and tried a few experiments for myself. The truth is a bullet just can't transfer that much energy because of its size and design.

Paul
Old 12-20-2005, 04:15 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Basic physics and everything I have read about terminal ballistics. In order to have enough energy to nock a target down it would have to impart the same amount of force to you when you shot it, even more when you consider the distance traveled and area of the projectile.

I have shot peices of fire wood with my slug gun using a 600 grn bullet that is supposed to deliver 3,000 ft/lbs of energy and it doesn't even knock it over. How is it going to knock a 150 lb deer on the ground? And why doesn't it knock me down, I only weigh 130 lbs?
I have shot concrete blocks withAluminum plates in front with slug guns and knock them completely over. Two of them. If it will do that, it will easily knock down a deer maybe a little off balance or casually eating. Simple physics sure don't work on your side on this one. I would probalby leave that statement out.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

"We hear ya loud and clear, but I wish you could see what I see when people try those 4K fps 110gr loads."

Big Country I would like to know what probs you've seen with these. Im not disagreeing you have seen probs,just wondering what to look out for.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Paul, you're one Hell of a man if you can get shot square on the shoulder bone and it won't knock you down!
Old 12-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

It may not be as cut and dry with just a physics equation. The time I was speaking of I had a deer up hill and about 50yards from me, quartering away and walking up a hill. Since it was walking I went for a safe shot behind the shoulder. The bullet went in behind the shoulder facing and hit the opposite shoulder in the deer. The deer was pushed up\over about 3 feet and landed on its side dead.
Yes the meat in the opposite should was a mess but no suffering involved.

I didnt know the Myth busters were the end all for physics ?'s.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rebel Hog. You would go and bring up the 6.5You are correct about the penetration of that bullet. I quess the 6.5 sort of defy's some of the rules. However I still feel you would get more dramatic kills with the 6.5 using lighter bullets. When the 260 came out, Nosler brought out a 100 grain Partition. I have a couple boxes of them and have not got around to try them. I have used the 120 grain bullets in the 260 and I think the 100 and 120 are the best choice for deer in the 260.

Now I am not saying that the 140 is a poor choice. I just think they have a heavier jacket than needed for thin skinned game. However their performance is beyond question. If I was to have to pick one bullet for the 6.5 it would be the 14o grain Hornady Interlock. For the 260 I would pick a little lighter bullet because lack of expansion has been a little bit of a problem with the 260 and heavier bullets. The 120 Ballistic tip would be an excellent deer bullet for the 260. IME
Old 12-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

Rebel Hog. You would go and bring up the 6.5You are correct about the penetration of that bullet. I quess the 6.5 sort of defy's some of the rules. However I still feel you would get more dramatic kills with the 6.5 using lighter bullets. When the 260 came out, Nosler brought out a 100 grain Partition. I have a couple boxes of them and have not got around to try them. I have used the 120 grain bullets in the 260 and I think the 100 and 120 are the best choice for deer in the 260.

Now I am not saying that the 140 is a poor choice. I just think they have a heavier jacket than needed for thin skinned game. However their performance is beyond question. If I was to have to pick one bullet for the 6.5 it would be the 14o grain Hornady Interlock. For the 260 I would pick a little lighter bullet because lack of expansion has been a little bit of a problem with the 260 and heavier bullets. The 120 Ballistic tip would be an excellent deer bullet for the 260. IME

I hear you James, but the 156gr Norma "Alaska" did a great job on the moose I shot in Canada!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

James would you be willing to try a 100 gr out of a 260 on deer? It would seem borderline at best unless its an easy broadsider. Numbers would make zrex get excited but just seems light. Seems like the 120 would be perfect for that round for deer...but I havent had one YET!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Heavy on the YET. Yes I would try the 100 grain Partition in a second. Nosler brought this bullet out for the 260 for deer hunting. The SD is just 205 but the 120 grain pro-hunter in the 280 is also 205 and it performs great at 2800 FPS. The 120 Ballistic tip would be ideal and I have talked to hunters who have used it with good success. I bought some bulk corelokts for my 260 and they did a good job. AND CHEAP.

RH. I have not tried that 156 grain bullet but I have used the 160 grain Hornady RN for close range hunting. I would still pick the 140 Interlock as a all around big game bullet. In the 6.5 that is. Some say the fast twist in the 6.5, at leasst in the old mausers made them perform beyond their paper ballistics. I can't say for sure on that though I never really got into twist rates to much.

Quick Reply: Caliber and bullet choice for Deer. Why so heavy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.