Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Background chekc for firearms? >

Background chekc for firearms?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Background chekc for firearms?

Old 12-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Background chekc for firearms?

what all do they check for or look at when doing it???

Thx
Old 12-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Background chekc for firearms?

Mostly criminal background or arrests. Mental illness and stuff like that. I would guess it varies a little from place to place.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:07 PM

Felonies that would disclude you from owning a weapon, or a history of violence, like domestic abuse.

Are you worried about something? As long as you haven't been covicted of a violent crime or on probation getting a rifle or shotgun probably won't be a problem. Handguns are a bit different, and I think are a bit more strict. Where I live you actually have to get a paper signed by the local police department saying they are ok with you owning one.

However in ohio all they do is swipe your DL to see if it comes up clear. Used to be a 7 day waiting period, I don't know when that changed.

Paul
Old 12-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

They are just making sure that you are not a fellon or have been convicted of any domestic violence crimes etc... etc...
Old 12-20-2005, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in the PRNJ, you have to apply for afirearms purchaser ID for long arms and apply for a separate permit for each pistol. Who do you apply to... the local police chief.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Paul--- I think a lot of local rules changed with the passage of the Brady Bill some years ago. In Pennsylvania, a new firearms purchase thru a licensed dealer goes thru an instant backround check, looking for felony convictions, PFA,s, domestic violence, etc. Normal traffic violations and such are no reasons for refusal. This must be done for all handgun purchases,regardless of where or who you bought the handgun from. Long guns may still be sold between private individuals legally, without the investigation call,I believe.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some people have trouble with background checks for reasons unrelated to any events in their personal histories. When I buy a firearm, my check goes through pretty quickly -- 10 or 15 minutes. Other people who have similarly clean records, however, will have to go through a several day waiting period. I suppose there is some glitch in the system relative to their name. Maybe their name is "Jesse James," or "Blue Beard," but whatever the case may be, their purchase is delayed and somewhat inconvenient.

It may also be that a background check tries to determine if any restraining orders or other court orders are in effect which pertain to firearms ownership. I'm only speculating, but imagine an unpleasant separation/divorce proceeding where an estranged wife seeks a restraining order because she "fears domestic violence" from her estranged husband (you did say some mighty cross words to her once, remember, when she threw your chest waders away?). Could this involve prohibiting or delaying purchase of a firearm? I don't know. Maybe.

Again, fortunately I have never had any trouble with firearms purchase background checks, but I have heard they do happen sometimes.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:53 AM

Every time they call me in, I am denied immediately. Then the dealer gets a call back with approval. Some other guy in the state with the same first and last name as me is a convicted felon. I just make sure I inform the dealer so he knows beforehand what is going to happen.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife just picked up a rifle tonight at the gun shop and when they made the call she was approved. No wait no nothin Thats how it should be. I would hate to live in Kalifornica where you have to wait two weeks before you get a gun. [:@]

NICS is run by the FBI, they check for felonies and "Reported" mental illnesses. Also anything the falls under the "Family Violence Act" has forfited your right to keep and bear arms.

Alsatian, In some states, like Texas I think, when you file for divorce, an automatic restraining order is in place. I think there is or was a 2 Amendment case that the SUpreme Court was or did look at. Man's guns were taking and he was locked up for possesion while under restraining order.

Talking about sucking canal water......[:@] That would really piss me off!
Old 12-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

you would think that by filling out your full first, middle and last name as well as providing your SSN and your State DL # the FBI could pretty much verify that you are whom you say and pull up any record you may have eh... maybe if it is close to a bad guy they have to dig deeper just to be sure? Or your application has to be forwarded to someone else for further looking into... donno if it becomes more entailed on the FBI end or not... all i know is that when that phone call is made.. there is no messing around... it is business and that is it...

Quick Reply: Background chekc for firearms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.