Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ZREX influence >

ZREX influence

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ZREX influence

Old 12-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ZREX influence

Well, My office bought me a gift certificate for a rifle for Christmas.
I picked out a new Savage model 10 but I had a hard time decising on caliber. I could choose any I wanted
I have a ML, a 270, 30-30, 22lr and shotgun.I don't expect to hunt anything but Deer, black bear, coyote or hogs
I really thought of going big like a 300wm or larger but I read so many posts on here by ZREX about the 243 and its effectiveness, versatility and shootability that I wanted to give it a try.
Got the gun on Friday. Shot it for several hours on Saturday. It is an awesome shooter, incredibly accurate and easy on the shoulder.
Now lets see how my daughter does with it on youth day next Monday
Old 12-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ZREX influence

I just picked out a new Savage as well. I wanted to try the accu-trigger. I got the varmit model in 270 WSM. Did you get the accu-trigger? Hope you enjoy your new rifle. Mine won't be here for three weeks.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cooooooooooool !
You wont be dissapointed. now dont let her shoot a deer in the gut and come back here and say how unaffecrive the .243 was.
If she puts it in the vitals the deer wont be farther than 40 yds if it it even runs at all. Everytime.
The .243 out of the box is very accurate as you can see, with a little work it is really amazing.
what shells were you using ? try the federals in 100 gr sierra game kings.or hornady 100 gr factory ammo.
25 years I have been using it. that little gun goes pop and I go pick up my deer everytime. My two sons use mine and even they have not lost and animal with it, some dropped on the spot. my 9 yr old and 17 year old have a combined record of 8 shots and 8 kills with it. My 9 year old dropped a javeline and a spike buck this year with it, and I mean dropped. the spike was at 205 yds,I remind you,he is9 yrs old, when theres no recoil, the kids really get to concentrate on making the shot, theres no flinching.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

James,
yeah i got the accutrigger. I have not messed with the weight yet but all i can say is that when i first used it the trigger felt great already. Good luck with yours

Zrex,
I hear ya. If she puts it in the vitals i'm gonna count on a dead deer. All i did was pick up som Winchester super X 100g when i bought the gun so I could get out there and shoot at the range the next morning.
It shot well in that session. 12 shots all within 2 1/8 inch. at 100. I'm sure once i get to play with the different brands i'll have even better results but for now since I only have a week to get her used to the gun this will be good enough. It's doe only and all shots will be within 100 yds. She shoots the 30-30 great so i'm sure she will do well with this to.
I appreciate the info on the loads. I will absolutly look at those for shooting after the season. I will only get out youth day and then 1 more day
Old 01-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Update on the 243,
On youth day 12/26 my daughter and I saw 2 doe but she never felt comfortable with the shot. Both were quarter too and she wanted full broadside or quarter away. the shot never presented itself clean enough for her liking . She showed incredible patience and i was proud of her

Yesterday was the last day of deer season in WV. I took a doe at 151 yards (new laser rangefinder for xmas). I used the Winchester super X 100g. Broadside, double lung. The bullet exited the other side with a penny size exit hole. When I opened her up the lungs were mush. She went down right away (less than 5 yards). Excellent performance

My buddy and i had hunted this small farm with woods and a few fields that we had recently received permission to hunt. It was our 3rd time on the property and although we had not seen any deer we had seen plenty of sign.
Pulled up in the truck yesterday and parked next to the old abandoned barn. Buddy got out of the car and said he was gonna take a leak in the barn. I walked to the other side of the barn, saw the doe in the field, loaded the gun and shot the doe. Buddy was still leaking when i shot. Went down to the doe and used the rangefinder back to the barn. Total hunt from truck to dead doe, 2 minutes

well just wanted to update you on the performance of the 243
Old 01-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coool.
thanks for the update, congrats on the does.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Danny, congrats on the gun, and the deer! You won't be disapointed! All calibers need good shot placement! With good hunting bullets, and good shot placement, the .243/6MM will take any Whitetail!
Right now, my "wish list" has several other guns ahead of the .243, but thats only because I'm short on recreational, and defense guns! I sorely regret getting rid of my 6MM Remington! I think when the time comes, I will replace it with the short action .243 though!
Again, congrats!