Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bullet Differences >

Bullet Differences

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bullet Differences

Old 12-19-2005, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bullet Differences

Hi All,

This is a very broad question so I am hoping to be educated here. There is always all this talk on here about different bullet tips, like Nosler Partition, Game Kings, Accubond etc...

My question is, how do you go about figuring out which bullet to use? I currently have in 300 Win Mag a box of Nosler Partition and one box of the Accubond. Is there a difference between these two.

Aren't all bullets, (non-military), supposed to do the same things, high weight retention, slow expansion etc...

I'm not talking about grains or velocity just bullet selection.

Thanks
Tom
Old 12-19-2005, 09:58 AM

Default RE: Bullet Differences

Well, they are all essentially the same - in that they mushroom out to create a bigger wound channel, at the expense of less penetration. However, some open up very fast, some have a delay, some just don't open up all that much. And then how much resistance the bullet encounters makes a lot of difference. The shoulder of an elk can cause a bullet to explode that is normally a pretty good controlled expansion bullet going through the chest of a deer.

And, last, the impact velocity can make a big difference. A certain bullet can be a deep penetrating bullet at 2100 fps impact velocity, and rapidly expanding bullet at 2800 fps, and an exploding varmint bullet at 3400 fps.

A lot of shooters bounce back and forth throughout their hunting days going from faster expanding bullets, that kill well on broadside rib shots but ruin a lot of meat and come apart on big bone - to deep penetration bullets that break big bones well and don't ruin much meat, but don't kill very quickly on broadside rib shots.

Some of these new bonded bullets; like the Scirocco, Accubond, Trophy Bonded, Fusion, etc; come as close to doing it all as anything that has been made in the past.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Partition and the AccuBond are essentially the same bullet. They are both controlled expansion, with the primary difference being the AccuBond has a Polymer tip on it. The polymer tip helps it from being deformed in the magazine of high-recoiling rifles, and gives it a little better ballistic coefficient.

The best way to pick a bullet for hunting is trying out various kinds and picking the one that shoots best in your rifle.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:20 AM

What about the new Winchester XP3? It's supposed to be good for anything and everything.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: tykempster

What about the new Winchester XP3? It's supposed to be good for anything and everything.

Going to try them!
Old 12-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

All bullets are definately not the same...In my .243, hunting deer since 1980 I have killed several deer with the following: 100 gr Remington CoreLokt, 100 gr Remington Premium BTSP, 100 Gr Hornady Custom Interlock, 100 gr Nitrex GrandSlam, 100 gr Winchester Supreme PowerPoint, 100 gr Winchester PowerPoint, 100 gr Federal Classic, 100gr Federal Premium Nosler Partition, 100gr Federal Premium Sierra BTSP, 85gr Federal Premium Sierra BTHP, while all these killed deer....Some gave pass throughs every time...with a small exit wound....some gave pass throughs most of the time with a 1 1/2 inch or so exit wound....and some very seldom gave pass throughs....I did see a pattern develop as to how far a deer traveled on lung shots with certain bullets....

Assuming you are hunting deer, both the Nosler Partition and the Accubond should give good performance...

I would ask other 300 Mag shooters what they shot for the type game hunted....When my brother bought a .270 a few years back, I asked a friend of mine what he used....Federal Premuim 130 gr Sierra BTSP...I sighted in with those...and brother has used since...
Old 12-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Roskoe. Gave a very good explaination on a subject that really takes a lifetime of expierence of a lot of research to fully answer. The big task for bullets has always been to perform all tasks perfectly at all ranges. It won't happen or at least has not yet happened.

On paper and in the field, the Nosler Partition come as close as a bullet can come to doing the impossible. The front of the partition opens quickly even explosivly. At long range it will still open up well. The rear of the bullet behind the Partition is harder and holds together to drive whats left of the bullet deep into the target People often complain that the front of the bullet blows up and fragments. It does and it is supposed to. This fragmenting causes much internal damage and for the most part the Partition does its job well.

One more difference in the accubond it that the front part of the bullet is now bonded to the jacket to give it more control in its expansion and hold it together a bit more. Bonding it sort of new to bullet making although companies have expiermented with it for years. The Partition and bonded bullets are trying to perform the same feat with different methods

Deer do not offer enough resistance to make some bonded bullets perform the way they are supposed to. This makes some of the premium bullets perform poorly on deer and smaller targets. A good controlled expansion bullet that works by making the jacket thicker as it works its way back, work better for deer.

What I have learned about bullets could fill 40 pages thus boring everyone to death. To sum it up, I think the Nosler Partion is the best, most dependable bullet out there FOR GENERAL PURPOSE do it all bullet. It is the hunters responsibility to research this topic. Learn all you can and then last but certainly not least, try them in the field and document your results. I think the Accu-bond is one step closer to perfect though they may have to be uesed in lighter weights for shin skinned game. The Nosler Ballistic tip has a tapered jacket and the plasitc tip protects the tip from being deformed in the magazie but ALSO drives back on impact to start the jacket expanding. Many cuss them because they think they are to fragil. However the heavier ones in each caliber are made for big game and are plenty tough for deer. Maybe one of the best deer bullets going. The lighter weights in each caliber are intended for small game or varmits. PICK THE RIGHT ONE and they work very well.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

On paper and in the field, the Nosler Partition come as close as a bullet can come to doing the impossible. The front of the partition opens quickly even explosivly. At long range it will still open up well. The rear of the bullet behind the Partition is harder and holds together to drive whats left of the bullet deep into the target People often complain that the front of the bullet blows up and fragments. It does and it is supposed to. This fragmenting causes much internal damage and for the most part the Partition does its job well.

I also agree with thisstatement James!!
Old 12-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

One of the few things that looked good on paper but also worked well in the field. In order for a bullet to perform well, it has to have a few weaknesses. If easy opening is a weakness. I have never had one fail me. Many people complain about the way the bullet performed inside the animal. This means it was killed and they got to look in side. I should add that the Barnes X bullet is a Penetrator where the Partition is an expander. You hardy ever recover an X bullet. They are however a good bullet that seems to do enough Damage to get the job done.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:44 PM

Statjunk, Roskoe said it all!! If the bullet shoots good in your gun and it puts the animal down on the ground,whom cares what they call it. suit yourself. Bullets have to fly before any game is taken,and i don,t think some of these guys every shoot any wild game. Just read about these bullets from magazines. Even if a little meat is wasted its better than none at all,is the way i look at it. Meat on the ground is the name of the game. vangunsmith

Quick Reply: Bullet Differences

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.