Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 WHERE DOES EVERYONE BUY THEIR AMMO? >

WHERE DOES EVERYONE BUY THEIR AMMO?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WHERE DOES EVERYONE BUY THEIR AMMO?

Old 12-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHERE DOES EVERYONE BUY THEIR AMMO?

my overall goal is to gain more yardage out of my rifle with less drop. i know you can sight in for ungodly ranges BUT i don't want to screw up my 100 yard range aswell. i know you can't have the best of both worlds...but i would like to find a better happy medium than what i have now.

i'm not a ballistic expert but common sense tells me that the lighter the projectile the faster/flatter it will shoot. however, by lightening up the projectile and making it faster/flatter...how much will this effect the "drop" of the projectile.

overall goal:

other than buying a range finding scope...i'm trying to take some guess work out of long shots. does this make sense to you?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

my overall goal is to gain more yardage out of my rifle with less drop. i know you can sight in for ungodly ranges BUT i don't want to screw up my 100 yard range aswell. i know you can't have the best of both worlds...but i would like to find a better happy medium than what i have now.

i'm not a ballistic expert but common sense tells me that the lighter the projectile the faster/flatter it will shoot. however, by lightening up the projectile and making it faster/flatter...how much will this effect the "drop" of the projectile.

overall goal:

other than buying a range finding scope...i'm trying to take some guess work out of long shots. does this make sense to you?

Cop,I have posted this picture many times to prove a point! I took these two within 3 hrs with .270 130gr NP... InRifle, CO in 1994. I have also taken many deer in FL with it.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Hre's the moose I took in 1995 with 6.5mmSwede and 156gr Norma ammo. Theseare the guide and a helper.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

rebel, i know "other" rifles are out there that will do the job with smaller calibers. what i'm saying is, i don't own a .270...i own a .300 and i do not want to get rid of it and i can't afford another rifle right now. what i want to do is improve my .300 set up to where it does not have as much of the "rainbow" effect.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

rebel, i know "other" rifles are out there that will do the job with smaller calibers. what i'm saying is, i don't own a .270...i own a .300 and i do not want to get rid of it and i can't afford another rifle right now. what i want to do is improve my .300 set up to where it does not have as much of the "rainbow" effect.

I wish I could help you on this, but I have no expirence with the .300's. You have to direct your quetions to MossyOak and Bigcountry, they reload for the .300 Rums. Start a newpost and type in:To mossyOak or BigCountry. They will be more than glad to help you!
Old 12-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rebel.....Is that a TREE sticking out of that moose's butt?????
Gotta be a story behind that!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i appreciate the help rebel. i wasn't downing/disagreeing with what you were saying, i was just wondering how i could improve what i already have.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Rebel.....Is that a TREE sticking out of that moose's butt?????
Gotta be a story behind that!!!
These guys were just messing around for the picture!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

i appreciate the help rebel. i wasn't downing/disagreeing with what you were saying, i was just wondering how i could improve what i already have.

My Bad Cop, did'nt mean to put your Rifle down partner!
I understand one has to use what they have, I justconsider a .300 Mag as a large animal round. Gosh, I know it will put down FL deer with your eyes closed.