Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

HELP?

Old 12-09-2005, 10:05 PM

Default HELP?

so fellas i have some new hope with a little bit higher amount of money... so im lookin for a christmas present for myself. Im not really sure about what to get? Ruger M77 in 7mm rem mag, Remington 673 guide rifle in 350 remington or 300 saul, Tikka T3( not sure what caliber or what the price is) i need help Christmas is coming and some help would be gretly appreciated thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: HELP?

Well you should tell us a little bit about what you intend to hunt with this rifle and the terrain you intend to hunt in and the farthest you plan to shoot at an animal with it.

But I will say right off the bat that I would not purchase anything chambered in any of the Remington SAUM's. The WSM got a huge jump ahead of the SAUM and I would bet that the SAUM's will be discontinued in a few short years. Notice that Remington loads all three of the WSM's (325 is too new) but Winchester does not load any of the SAUM's. This should tell you something.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:41 AM

well i would be hunting whitetailed deer with it, maybe later in the years bear, elk,and all big game sooner or later, maybe change that remington to the 350 rem,and ill mainly be taking shots at a max of around 250. in mountins of md or the lower eastern shore of md. what can u advise me with
Old 12-10-2005, 01:37 PM

7mm Rem Mag is a good choice for everything but the biggest bears, as is 30-06 and lots of others.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:45 PM

The 350 is a nice round. You may want to consider a 300 wsm or the old standy 300win mag if you dont want to pay the big bucks for shells.I love my 300 win mag and have no plans to buy the newer wsm's. There nice but the rifles and ammoare a little on the spendy side. I am intriguied by the 325 wsm though.
Nathan
Old 12-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shooting deer out to a max of 250 you don't need a magnum of just about any kind. I don't consider the .350 Rem mag a true magnum.

Honestly I would look at calibers such as the 7mm-08, 7mm Mauser, 6.5 Sweede, 308, 35 Whelen and 350 Rem mag.

All of these cartridges are capeable of holding a +- 3" rise and fall out to and past 250 yards. They are relatively light recoiling and are certainly capeable elk and moose cartridges.

I just don't see the need for you to purchase a flat shooting magnum when you don't need it. Why put up with the added cost of ammo, extra blast, extra recoil, etc... when none of that will kill the deer any deader than the cartridges I have listed.

Later on when you do get to hunt larger game such as big bears, moose, and elk on a regular basis then you can purchase something like a 338 magnum.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:51 PM

Thanks fellas, i actually went and looked today and i really got my eye caught on the 700 cdl...i dont know..its beautiful. but i will prolly get the for my bday cuz the bow i have isnt the greatest and i need to practice with it good cuz i plan to get one next year. but i still would like some info if anyone has it... Tikka T3? price...soo you guys like the 350? have u had any complaints of the 673 by remingotn?