Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Marlin Vs. Winchester 30-30s >

Marlin Vs. Winchester 30-30s

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin Vs. Winchester 30-30s

Old 12-08-2005, 10:24 AM

Default RE: Marlin Vs. Winchester 30-30s

those stainless marlins sure are nice
Old 12-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 94, and 3 Marlins. I prefer the Marlins over the Winchester though the Winchester is still a good gun.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's an article you need to read. This says it all.....

http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira/SiteTops/weapons/3030faq.htm

For me, I own a Marlin 30AS (poor man's version of the 336). I love it dearly. It is light, easy to carry, goes anywhere, and can shoot great groups out to 100 yards. I just limit myself to 100 yards with it, and I'm fine.

I had an old Glenfield 4x32 scope mounted on low Weaver rings and base. But the scope lost it's "zero" suddenly during Thanksgiving week/hunt trip.Afterwards, I ended up removing the whole thing and putting in the tiny filler screws in the receiver, and going with plain ol' open sights.

Old 12-10-2005, 10:15 AM

I prefer Marlins, though if I could get a deal on a Winchester, I wouldn't turn it down. (Are Marlins really that much more expensive?)

Like ButchA, I'm left-handed, and you might think that the side-eject would bother me, but I don't even notice the casings ejecting in front of me.

I think that with the new Hornady LeverEvolution ammo, levers are going to make a huge comeback--you might want to get yours soon!
Old 12-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Win.94 "Carbine" and a Marlin 336 in .30-30 and like them both.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Moose_Maximus
Like ButchA, I'm left-handed, and you might think that the side-eject would bother me, but I don't even notice the casings ejecting in front of me.
I don't notice it either. Sometimes, I'll tip the 30-30 a little towards its side when ejecting, then tip it back straight to chamber another round. No biggie...

I have always shot lefty. I can't hit the broadside of a barn righty. Even with an eye patch on my left eye. I remember USCG bootcamp many years ago, trying to qualify with the M-16. I failed righty. After being called every name in the book by the range instructors, I carefully explained that I am left eye dominant and a lefty. I recall there were very few of us 100% lefty shooters in the USCG. I remember them having some weird aluminum shroud thing that they made that would snap on the M-16, so the ejecting shells wouldn't biff you if had toshoot lefty. As soon as they did that... BAM! I qualified easily. [8D]

My next rifle is going to be a lefty bolt action in a .270 caliber. I will keep the Marlin 30-30 with the open sights, 'cause I find I like it better that way and always hunt in the heavy thick brush with it. It likes the 170 grain rounds and at 50 yards, open sights, I can get amazing groups!
Old 12-10-2005, 12:49 PM

I have to agree with the Marlin fans on this one... Gotta throw in a female's opinion once in awhile..
My dad gave me his Marlin 30-30... I know amazingly little about the gun, we know it's a pre-1964 though.
I've shot a Winchester also - hated it in comparison to my Marlin... It didn't feel as smooth. I shoot left handed also (I can relate to the left eye dominant story above - dad and grandpa couldn't figure out why I couldn't hit anything when i first got a gun... Gotta love grandpa for tellin me to shoot left handed.) The side eject on the marlin doesn't bother me at all. And that top eject on the Winchester drove me batty when I was shooting it.
Anyways - there's my two cents :-)
Old 12-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm an old winchester fan.....and I'd agree the Marlin is worth the few extra bucks. They're a good company and make a fine product.....hard to beat.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a Marlin fan as well.....one thing I noticed no one has mentioned is that the Marlin stock has a pistol grip which I prefer over the straight, english-style stock on the Winchester 94's.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:59 PM

I like my Marlin 336c for it's side eject, also shoots very well, but mine's in 35 rem.

Quick Reply: Marlin Vs. Winchester 30-30s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.