Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Cold bore shot opinions needed! >

Cold bore shot opinions needed!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cold bore shot opinions needed!

Old 12-07-2005, 06:44 AM

Default Cold bore shot opinions needed!

I need some advice please! I have a Ruger MK 11 in 25-06and the first round out of cold barrel always lands 4 inches high and about 5 inches left then from the second shot on it hits right on target. What to do this is a problem for hunting as I cant get the animals to stand still while I fire one off to warm up barrel!
but the first round is not always consistant next time it could vary by a inch or two. should I just by a new rifle?
Don
Old 12-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cold bore shot opinions needed!

Are you talking the first round out of a cold barrel or the first round out of a clean barrel?Does it matter if the barrel is clean or if it is fouled?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gene,
You will be hunting with a cold barrel. No way around it. Next time at the range shoot your first shot, wait 10 minutes to let your barreltotally cool.aim at the same spot you aimed for the first shot. Most likely you will hit near the first shot with the cold barrel. If so, this is your new 0 and adjust your sights
Old 12-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've noticed that some guns act differently than others in this regard. I have had many rifles put the first shot from a CLEAN barrel a bit away from the group until after the barrel was fouled. It then would group as expected. Try leaving the barrel fouled, let the gun assume ambient temp., and try it again. If it groups to your expectations, then the answer is to leave the barrel fouled until your hunt is finished. If it continues to act as before, then perhaps some of the others on here will be able to help. ( I'd like to see an answer to this myself.)
Old 12-07-2005, 08:51 AM

No not a clean barrel. A cold one. I've let it cool for 20 min. and no differance! It seems to need a hour or more on a 75 degree day with bolt open. Also target with heavy barrel and 20-30 thousands between stock and barrel.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:55 AM

Is your action bedded? Action bolts tight? Scope mounts/rings tight?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:26 AM

No it's just as is from factory. after first shot it will group under2 inches all day long with the rounds I hunt with.
ORIGINAL: Ought Six

Is your action bedded? Action bolts tight? Scope mounts/rings tight?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:11 AM

have your barrel cryogenically heat treated to take out any impurities... I know someone that had this done on their 243 and it is like a new rifle
Old 12-07-2005, 12:11 PM

Before Cryo Freezing, you might try free floating the barrel. I would bed the action and the first inch of the barrel - remove wood until you can slip a piece of paper easily between the barrel and forearm. If that doesn't do it, freeze it. If that doesn't do it, sell it.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:04 PM

From my limited experience it's common to have the POI stray as the barrel heats up. In my guns, I can usually get a good group with three consecutive shots, but they seem to stray quite a bit after 3 or 4. For hunting it's just fine.

It seems like your's is taking this to the extreme. I'd consult a good trusted gun smith and consider free floating, and/or bedding depending on what he thinks is going on.

Also, if that first shot is through an oiled barrel, it always makes a significant POI difference from the next shot, cold or warm, in my experience. I never oil my barrel except for storage. Then when I shoot it next, I run a dry bore snake through it and also shoot a "fouling shot" before I check grouping.

Quick Reply: Cold bore shot opinions needed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.