HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   M1 carbine-good brush gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/123807-m1-carbine-good-brush-gun.html)

cyriaque 12-05-2005 02:02 PM

M1 carbine-good brush gun

Lightweight, powerful and accurate enough at 50-75 yards, easy to carry and handle. Softnose bullet expands well.

Charley 12-05-2005 02:07 PM

RE: M1 carbine-good brush gun

Good brush gun for what? Smallish whitetails, but I wouldn't hunt large bodied animals with it, unless there was no other option, like a survival situation. Power? Don't kid yourself, in terms of energy delivered, it compares reasonably closely to a .357 Magnum fired from a carbine, again, best at 50-75 yards. There are better calibers and better firearms for brush.

eldeguello 12-05-2005 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: cyriaque

Lightweight, powerful and accurate enough at 50-75 yards, easy to carry and handle. Softnose bullet expands well.
Powerful? POWERFUL??? You think a 110 grain roundnose bullet at 1900 FPS MV is powerful???

The .30 Carbine round is just barely adequate for jackrabbits!! And then only if you use softpoint bullets. With ball ammo, you can't rely on it even stopping a jack! Let alone anything bigger!

I used the damn thing in combat once-but only until I was able to grab an M14!!

North Texan 12-05-2005 02:16 PM

I used the damn thing in combat once
I'd have hated to have been in your shoes. M-1 carbines give you the worst ofboth worlds. You don't have the range of anybody else's rifles, yet you also don't have the stopping power of a 1911 or any other reasonably sized pistol.[:o]

That said, I can see where an M-1 would be fun for plinking.

eldeguello 12-05-2005 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: North Texan

I used the damn thing in combat once
I'd have hated to have been in your shoes. M-1 carbines give you the worst ofboth worlds. You don't have the range of anybody else's rifles, yet you also don't have the stopping power of a 1911 or any other reasonably sized pistol.[:o]

That said, I can see where an M-1 would be fun for plinking.
Well, I was lucky! Mine was an M2! But I always used it set on semi-auto because on full auto, only the first three rounds came close to hitting anything, and the rest went over the hill!

However, yes, the little contraption is a fun plinker, and it was great fun owning one in the days of plentiful GI ammo. Now, it's a different story...... You can shoot an SKS cheaper these days.

Rammer 12-05-2005 02:47 PM

Just get yourself a Mini 14 for a plinker, ammo is more readily available, and its pretty much the same action.

TomFromTheShade 12-05-2005 02:52 PM

At 50-75 yards I don't see a problem with it. I think it would be fine for whitetails and the like.

Rebel Hog 12-05-2005 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: TomFromTheShade

At 50-75 yards I don't see a problem with it. I think it would be fine for whitetails and the like.

HA!:D:DThe Marines in Korea would grab them by the barrel and hurl them as far as they could!;)

cyriaque 12-05-2005 03:19 PM

I guess the deer I killed with it yesterday and the men killed with it in several wars haven't read that it's not powerful enough!

James B 12-05-2005 04:25 PM

They are not legal for deer where I hunt. They are not a very effective weapon for anything. They will kill a man or a deer but so will a golf club. (only faster).