Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Not sure but going to try here >

Not sure but going to try here

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Not sure but going to try here

Old 12-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Not sure but going to try here

Like its been stated already, start in close - as it is hard to miss a target from close then start moving your way back from there.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:11 PM

I would start off by removing the ring and the mounts and making sure that all parts are in working order.

Next I would make sure that the cross hairs are "centered" meaning I would turn the vertical adjustment all the way as far as it would go in one direction, then I would turn it all the way in the other direction (counting the clicks as I went) then I would divide the number of clicks by two and move the knob that many clicks in the other direction to center it. Then do the same for the horizontal adjustment.

Now I would remount the scope, taking care to make sure that everything is level and straight.

Now you should bore sight the rifle at 25 yards ( I like to use a laser bore-sighter for this purpose).

Now you are ready to shoot the rifle at 25 yards. If you are making good hits at 25 yards you can move the target to 50 yards. If you are still hitting well at50 yards, you are now ready to move the target to 100 yards where you will be able to make your final adjustments.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

If all of this fails I would suggest scrapping the entire rig and getting a new low powered variable scope and mounting it with either see through mounts or (my favorite) the Leupold QRW mounts.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

I have taking the rings and mounts off and checked them. Did not center.
Bore sight done 3 shot group covered by a quarter 1/4th inch off center.
Used sandbags for this. Did not move rifle then checked scope sights. Sights showed to be about a foot low and at least that to the left.
I tried taking the shot useing the scope X 3 shots and never cut paper. Tried several different times and gave up.
I have never shot a offset scope but in looking at this am I correct in guessing that I will not be able to line up the cross hairs on a target and shoot without adjusting or allowing for a certain amount of adjustment on my part?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

One more attempt.Sight the gun inAT THE RANGE THAT YOU WANT YOUR FINAL SIGHT IN TO BEwith the open sights.Then place the gun on sandbags and line up the open sights in the bulls eye AT THE SAME DISTANCE.Now without moving the gun adjust the scope so it is on the center of the bullseye AT THE SAME DISTANCE.Recheck to verify that both the scope and sights are centered at exactly the same point.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

One more attempt.Sight the gun inAT THE RANGE THAT YOU WANT YOUR FINAL SIGHT IN TO BEwith the open sights.Then place the gun on sandbags and line up the open sights in the bulls eye AT THE SAME DISTANCE.Now without moving the gun adjust the scope so it is on the center of the bullseye AT THE SAME DISTANCE.Recheck to verify that both the scope and sights are centered at exactly the same point.
Stubble,
I understand what you are saying and have tried BUT scope shows to be at least a foot low and at least a foot to the left, so there is no way to center it.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

scope shows to be at least a foot low and at least a foot to the left, so there is no way to center it.
If therifle is sighted in with the sights and you can't move the scope so it lines up with the sights,it is simply not possible tosight the gun in with the scope and mount that you are using.You either need to modify the mount or change to a scope witha largeradjustment range.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

You did catch that this is a side mount scope, right?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

So your saying that your scope is maxed out for height and windage and you can't get it to hit dead center at 100 yards?

If this is the case, try a different scope.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

You did catch that this is a side mount scope, right?
It doesn't matter how the scope is mounted.If the rifle is sighted in with the open sights the scopescrosshairs have tobeat the same point thatthe open sights areat that distance.