Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 'nudder .243  tread  ( graphic pics ! ) >

'nudder .243 tread ( graphic pics ! )

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

'nudder .243 tread ( graphic pics ! )

Old 11-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 'nudder .243 tread ( graphic pics ! )

Its possible that a large section of bloodshot and shreaded meat came off when skinning, its not uncommon for there to be a lot of hidden damage under the hide, deer hide is pretty tough stuff and is fairly elastic so it would flex better under hydrolic shock where meat tends to shred and go to jelly.

I will second the 100gr federal premium gameking load for deer. I have used it on several deer myself and find it hard to fault it. Kills as well as any other rifle I have shot including 25/06, 30/06, and 7mm mag. Works like a champ.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:14 PM

Its possible that a large section of bloodshot and shreaded meat came off when skinning, its not uncommon for there to be a lot of hidden damage under the hide, deer hide is pretty tough stuff and is fairly elastic so it would flex better under hydrolic shock where meat tends to shred and go to jelly.
That certainly sounds reasonable. I've never seen a deer shot with a rifle. We have to use slugs, and you get a big hole on the body, and hide. At least that has been my personal experience.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:05 PM

ORIGINAL: mike bell

Zrex,

How much does your son weigh and what brand gun does he shoot? Im looking to find something for one of mine to shoot.
My wife and I have been looking at the Savage 10GY in .243 for her. It has a 12.5" length of pull, 22" barrel and 41.5" overall length. Plus it has the accu-trigger. MSRP is $515 but I found a N.I.B. on Gunbroker for $379. Would be hard to beat for a first rifle....

Here is the auction.... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=40893293

Congrat's to your son on his buck!!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

i've hunted with an older fella since i could hunt... and he uses a 243, has most of his life... it's taken more deer than i can count in it's lifetime... the 243 has NO issue killing... that is fact, not opinion, not fiction... put the bullet where it needs to be with one and a deer will go down... performance is hindered if you manage to catch the shoulder socket though... the only BEEF that i have with the 243 is what you see right there in those photos.. that little bullet traveling at those speeds causes extreme damage to tissue... that little bullet basically goes in and and it's like tossing a grenade inside of a body cavity as it slows down and comes apart... i've been there for the gutting and butchering of a lot of deer shot with a 243... and it really makes a mess inside and under the hide....

btw, you did the right thing shooting that deer in the neck instead of what i assume you were thinking... cutting the throat or something with your knife... don't do it... that critter will get a burst of energy... and you very well may end up with a "spike" stuck in your chest or something... deer, until DEAD are very very dangerous...
Old 11-30-2005, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I had the same experience with my 243 this year. It did plenty of damage but no that much. I like it for deer, quite adequate! Bullet chioce is important with this gun.I reccomend something bonded like a hornady interbond. EJ
Old 11-30-2005, 12:24 PM

If you handload, you might consider the 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunter (flat base). I have used both, and the Pro Hunter bullets are a little tougher - give a little more penetration and a little less bloodshot meat, all things being equal. Both kill very well with good shot placement.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Spike

I love my .243. I use Fed. 100gr. Nosler Partition, I do not loose very much meat.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:38 PM

how far of a shot zrex ? whats your experience with the 85 gr, gamekings ?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: naconst

how far of a shot zrex ? whats your experience with the 85 gr, gamekings ?
This was at 205 yds, I have no exp. with the 85 gr.,even though I here a lot of good things about it. Im just stuck on 100 gr I guess. For up to 300 yds I dont think theres a signicant difference in trajectory between the two. farther than that there is, but I dont shoot that far.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

A very good reson to stick with my 270.[:'(]
Yeah, me too.....

Quick Reply: 'nudder .243 tread ( graphic pics ! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.