Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7 rem mag a good deer rifle? >

7 rem mag a good deer rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7 rem mag a good deer rifle?

Old 11-29-2005, 11:25 AM

Default 7 rem mag a good deer rifle?

Ok, I need some more help deciding! I'm asking for a new deer rifle for Christmas and I know everyone has different opinions but I was thinking of getting a rem. 700 sps in 7 rem mag. Is this a good choice? Just wondering about the recoil because 30-06 is the biggest I've shot! Although once sighted in I'll only be hunting with it! I know it's on the verge of too much gun for MO but I'd like to go antelope, elk, etc. some day and it might keep from having to buy a 300 or 325. It would also help my confidence I think to know I could hit anything I could see! Just looking for some reassurance that this is a good choice! Thanks! Chris!
Old 11-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7 rem mag a good deer rifle?

It would also help my confidence I think to know I could hit anything I could see!
Unfortunately that is a disease that effects many people.Many will attempt shots that they have no business taking because they think that using a cartridge that is effective at longer range automatically makes them a competentlong rang shooter.The truth is that only a very low percentage of hunters are competent in excess of 300 yards.To become proficient at 400yards or 500 yards requires a great deal of practise at those distances,to learn the trajectory of your load and to develop and maintain the shooting skills necessary for precise bullet placement at those distances.I set my own limits by never taking a shot at a game animal at any distance that I have not practised on targets at.If everyone else did the same the result would be far fewer misses and far fewerwounded animals.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:55 AM

Would you suggest something different?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why do you say once you sight it in you will only hunt with it? If you plan on taking long shots you'd better be doing a LOT of practicing, and you MUST sight your gun in every year and every hunting trip. You owe it to each and every animal you pull the trigger on.
A 7MM mag is a great cartridge as are others. It is not too much gun, there is no such thing. Dead is dead.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:26 PM

I mean it's not like I'll be target shooting every week with it. Plus currently I doubt I'd have a shot much over 100-200 yards with most being under 50 in the woods.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:27 PM

if you can't see it get a bigger scope... LOL
just kidding
Old 11-29-2005, 12:32 PM

The 7mm Remington Magnum is a good deer cartridge. Let's be brutally honest, though. Any caliber from the 257 Roberts to the 300 Winchester magnum can be considered good deer rifles. The truth is, it comes down to your shooting ability. Killing game is more about shot placement than the caliber.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 7mmremmag is a fine cartridge for deer hunting,but if you have no intentions of practising regularly,your shooting skills will not be able to take advantage of the flat trajectory.You state a maximum shot distance of 200 yards.For those distances the 7mm-08 would be more than adequate with less recoil.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

The 7mm Rem mag is avery versatile round, I so go for it. Down the road you can use it with a good 160+ gr bullet for elk or moose, and any 140-150gr bullet for deer. It will work great out to 200 yards, just becaues the trajectory is really flat doesn't mean you can't use it for closer shooting too. I've shot several deer with the 7mm a couple at longer ranges than I probably should have been shooting, worked though. Never lost a deer with it. Recoil isn't really that much worse than a 30.06.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:10 PM

For close woods I'd suggest a different caliber, at short range I think that open sights are easier to use than a scope. Maybe a good lever action in a medium range caliber with a side mounted scope and open sights. This would be versatile enough for woods and medium range open areas.

Quick Reply: 7 rem mag a good deer rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.