Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry >

Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

Old 12-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

i know someone will argue my post but i am a cop.
So what, still doesn't make you an expert on concealing a handgun. Maybe your credibility would have been helped a bit had you mentioned the KelTec P3AT 380. By the way, I'm in the Air Force but that doesn't make me an expert on flying planes.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Spike

since you're concealing it, check out a .32 semi-auto. almost all 9mm, .357, etc. are to large to be considered truly concealable.

You've got to be kidding

You're a cop and you are carrying a .32 for a backup gun ?

If you ever need a backup gun it'd better be up to the task. Call me simple... but the idea of wrestling a drug crazed junkie who feels no pain that is trying to grab your duty weapon and kill you with it would seem to dictate something more than a puny .32. In a case like that, I want all the "knock down" power I can get.

My dept. wont even let us carry a backup in anythingless than .38 special. Yeah...its all about shot placement all right, but a gun in the gut probably aint the ideal shot...and in a life threating scenario, in reality, you are gonna take whatever shot you can get whether its ideal or not.

As for being a "cop" Im not impressed. Mostof the ones I deal with are far from the "gun savy" types and know less about guns than many citizens do.Many ofthem barely qualify when the time comes and consider themselves well prepped because they shot some holes in the black on a B-27 silhouette.

In todays world of Metheads that are tweaking and care only about where their next "hit" comes from, Im going to use the proper tools for the job should the need be...
Old 12-07-2005, 07:36 PM

Hey all,
I have to disagree with camocop.
No offense intended, but i carry an hk usp fullsize .45 and conceal it everyday with nothing more than a t shirt.
Listen to hotguns!
Nathan
Old 12-07-2005, 07:40 PM

practice, practice, practice, training, training, training! put yourself in as much stress training situations as possible. i dont care what any cop non cop tells you, your not going to come out alive if you can not hit what your shooting at period and use as much gun as you can handle and shoot well!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

it all comes down to you use whats good for you. go to a local gun range/club and rent several pistols and see what you like. you can take my advice if you want, but i'm not going to defend my credibility to a bunch of internet rambo's who claim their the real deal.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can take my advice if you want, but i'm not going to defend my credibility to a bunch of internet rambo's who claim their the real deal.
No, between your "advice" on the 32ACP and your post about shooting hogs at 100 yards with buckshot you really don't haveneed to defend anything.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:08 PM

that kind of remark does not say much for the uniform you wear. some of these as you call them internet rambos have more combat in real life than you ever will.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Spike

Dont be so touchy there camocop...

when someone claims to :

shoot a hog at 100 yards with buckshotthrough an extra full turkey choke...

reccomends a .223 for a deer rifle...

thinks that the only concealable caliber is a .32 ACP...

and dosent expect anyone to argue with him because he is a cop...

it just naturally raises the BS flagfor folks that know better than to even try such foolishness...

Old 12-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

look i'm sorry if i offended anyone, i did not mean to. all i was saying is more firepower is not always the answer. in south carolina there was a state trooper by the name of coates. he was killed in the line of duty from one shot from a .22. the subject who shot him was hit 5 out of 6 times center mass from his duty firearm, a .357 magnum. the suspect who took all 5 rounds of the .357 magnum in the chest is still alive in prison. all i'm saying is it's not always the size of the firearm as it is shot placement.

i hope your never have to use deadly force on anyone, because i hope i never have to. but to answer the one reply in regaurds to having to use it on someone hopped up on dope....there is narcotics such as PCP out there. it does not matter if you shoot someone with a slug, they won't feel it and will keep coming. i'm all for larger calibers for protection but it's only my opinion to use a smaller caliber for concealment.

also friz, if you don't think it's possible to take down a hog at 100 yards with 3 1/2" 00 buckshot through a mossberg 835 ulti-mag /w the extra full turkey choke, you're dumber than i thought. so don't judge me because you have never witnessed it yourself. i'm not saying this shot is makable everytime, i tried it once and made it. so what, get over yourself, i'm not bragging about being all that i was just explaining to that person that it has been done and mossberg is a great shotgun for the price.

since ya'll are going to do the research on me and my post, then put everything i said into works. i did not say the .223 was the best deer rifle, i said it would be a good start for a 15 year old (female) beginning hunter because it is capable of bringing down deer and has very low recoil.

i also did not say you could not conceal anything but a .32. i just through out a random caliber because of it's smaller size. common sense says the smaller the easier to conceal. hell if you wanted to you could conceal a .44 magnum, would i recomend it....no.

i'm not saying because i'm a cop that i know everything, i said i'm a copto let you know that i am familiar with some firearms. i'm sorry to piss everyone off, i did not mean too. but don't attempt to smear me in the forums just because you don't agree or believe something i have said.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Spike

For one thing, I wouldnt recomend firing buckshot through and extra full turkey choke. I've seen several of them trashed out by shooting buck though them, they are just too tight. I'm not doubting you or the shot, you just got lucky. Ive got a few custom chokes that specifically warn not to shoot buckshot or slugs printed right on them. FWIW...Ive got an 835 and have killeddozens ofturkeys with it.

A 15 year old hunter ought to be capable of shooting at least a .243, which many people consider marginal for deer. I've helped several people track deer that have been shot with a .243 that werent recovered. The .223 is too light and not even legal to hunt deer with in many states.

Ill be the first to admit that even the pipsqueak .32 is better than NO gun at all. However, in the last few years, concealable guns in major calibers have come a long way when it comes to concealabilty.No sense inhandicapping yourself with a minor caliber.

I saw the Coates tape and all I can say about that is it was his time to go.An unfortunate tragedy to say the least.That .22 killed him as dead as any other caliber could have.

I dont think anyone was "offended" by what you had to offer. I know I wasnt. It just seems that some of your advice is contrary to good sense occasionaly.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.