Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry >

Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

Old 11-26-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

I know this may have been asked before, but I couldn't find anything on a search. I'm looking for opinions on a good, decent concealed-carry pistol.

My current employment will be making me take a temporary move up to 250 miles away from home for up to 8 months down into deep South Texas along the Mexican Border. With recent news of all the disappearances of American citizens into Mexico, I want to make sure I'm protected for my family's sake. I will be (soon) attending a concealed-carry class to obtain my permit, but I first wanted to get opinions on what would be the best pistol to have.

My personal preference has been to 9mm pistols, but that is based on my Dad having one when I was a kid. Don't have much experience other than that. I have fired a .40 & .45 cal. pistol during an exposition, but not a lot of rounds fired to gain a valuable opinion myself.

What I'm looking for. Something light and concealable (of course). But also something that will make itself noticeable if called into action (ie: a small .22 pistol is not what I would consider something to make a statement with when needed in a dire situation).

Now I have heard that a9mm will not have a lot of "knock-down" power in a life-or-death situation, but that may be off-set with the number of rounds it can carry. A .45 can carry a punch if needed, but weight and recoil effect are to also be considered. Also keep in mind that price of either new or used guns will be a factor. Reliability and consistency will also play a major role in my decisions.

I work construction and will spend a large majority of my working time in my truck. This will be the primary "residence" of whatever pistolI make a decision on, but I will also be carrying this pistol on my person from time to time.

My background for those that are interested. I have been hunting (on a regular basis) for only the last 6 years. My primary knowledge with guns pertains to shotguns and black powder rifles only. I do not have much experience or knowledge with pistols. I have fired some from time to time that have belonged to friends or relatives, but not a lot. My main goal in all of this is to keep my wife and daughter from having to cash in on my life insurance policy.

The areathat I'm heading into(Brownsville, Tx - Rio Grande Valley) is a hot-bed of international activity. From drug smuggling to illegal-alien crossing, I want to make sure I'm prepared. Call me cautious or whatever, my family comes first.

Let the discussions and opinions begin...
Old 11-26-2005, 02:13 AM

Default RE: Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

I'd recommend you look into a Sig 9mm pistol. For accuracy, consistency, reliability, etc., I think the Sig is the best I've encountered. Nice triggers, and no dang fool external safeties to contend with either. Cost may be a little more than some others, but consider it a form of "life insurance" premium.
For concealability, check out the Sig 239: 9mm, 8shot capacity. 10round mags are available.
Another good one is the Sig 229: 10shot cap., and twelve shot mags are available.
Both are available in 40S&W if you prefer.
I have the model 239. I practice with Federal American Eagle 115gr. FMJ, and carry Federal Hydra-Shok, 135gr.
Here's a link to the Sig website;
Link: http://www.sigarms.com

Old 11-26-2005, 02:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Based on your limited usae of pistols .I would say a wheel gun ( revolver) in .357 Magnum. A Smith & Wesson Model 60 would work good.Easy to use, simple operation, don't jam,and good power..JMHO
Old 11-26-2005, 07:33 AM

No such thing as "knockdown power" with any handgun you could shoot. 9x19, with modern expanding bullet designs have a proven track record, so don't sweat that part.
Autopistols do demanda higher level of training and familiarity. Problem is, if you take your CHL course with a revolver, that's all you can carry.

As for the RGV, there a a couple of things you can do to keep the odds on your side:
1. Don't go drinking at low end bars.
2. Don't get so drunk you cannot recognize a potential threat,
3.Don't try to smuggle any dope.

I've got several handguns that can be suitable for concealed carry. If you'd like to meet at a local range and try some out, drop me an email. (I'm partial to Greg Ferris' place, Cedar Creek).
Old 11-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend a quality revolver in 357 Mag with a 4” barrel. You have the option of shooting the 38 special for target and to familiarize you with the handgun and the 357 magnum round for business. The Ruger GP-100 is an excellent, accurate and dependable handgun at a very reasonable price.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Ruger SP101 SS .38 +P. 3-1/16" Barrel

Old 11-26-2005, 10:04 AM

i have a smith 357 mag with a 2 1/2 inch barrel and with some rem golden sabers i dont think anyone wants to mess with you
Old 11-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

I recently got one of the Kahr PM40 pistols. It is an excellent carry gun, accurate, light, compact, and comfortable to shoot. I would highly recomend them to anyone looking for a concealed carry gun. It also comes in 9m and 45 acp, but I think the 40 is probably your best all around caliber. Size and power is about at its optimum mix in the 40 cal.
www.kahr.com

Old 11-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will second the vote for the Sig P239....an excellent weapon. I carry the Sig P229 in 40 S&W as my off duty weapon and would recommend it to anyone. However I think the P239 is a little better suited for concealed carry.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Spike

I have both a Glock Model 19 in 9mm and a Ruger SP-101 in .357 Magnum. They are of similar size and weight, but I lean toward the Glock due to the 15 round capacity vs. 5 rounds in the SP-101. It is also quicker to reload. Love the Glock, reliable, durable, don't shoot lead bullets or super hot loads to avoid kabooms, and it will serve well.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good pistol for concealed carry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.