Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 12ga. slug vs 30cal. >

12ga. slug vs 30cal.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12ga. slug vs 30cal.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:12 PM

Default RE: 12ga. slug vs 30cal.

WOW. A very thought provoking question as I hunt all over NY and use both guns quite often. Both are highly efficient deer killers - when used properly within the confines of the hunt. The 12 Ga. carries easily, is utterly devastating up to 100 yards (in my experience), is a great "brush" gun and surprisingly allows for a quick follow up shot if necessary - which isn't very often. My scoped, bolt -06 loaded with Nosler 168 Gr. Ballistic Silvertips has stopped every single deer I have ever shot with it never running more than 15 yards - usually they just flop over dead when hit, plus there's something magical about carrying a rifle in the woods and having the confidence and beliefthat "if I see it, I can kill it".

All things being equal - give me the .30.

Old 11-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

I've seen along with my butcher many slugs (non sabot) that didn't pass through deer of course not the best shots but none the less not pass throughs. I hunt both with rifle 30-06 or 7mm mag or slug gun depending on state, I get pass throughs with my rifles and slug gun shooting sabots.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:28 AM

what slugs were you shootin' that it didn't exit?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot that deer with a Winchester (BRI) 2 3/4" 1 oz sabot (1350 fps). Hit a rib on near side, apparenlty broke apart, as on opposite side there were a few holes in the rib cage. The biggest portion of the slug hit another rib, got through the ribs but did not get through the hide. Other pieces of the slug were found in the offside shoulder. The deer only hopped and flopped, but if I could hunt with a rifle, there is no situation that I'd rather have a shotgun.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:22 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: djgj200

Oh man, where do I start.

Lets see, I have seen copper solids, sluggers, lightfields bunches of times, and federal barnes not exit at 100 yards. But federal hydroshoks seem to exit in most circumstances. Hope it helps.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

You learn something new every day. I have shot a bunch with a 12 guage and the slug always passed through. The deer typically dropped in their tracks too. Never seen one shot with a slug that didn't pass through. Heck, in PA I have seen a ton of people use them for bears.

Then again, back when I shot slugs rifled barrels weren't available and 50 yards was the limit.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:37 PM

Last year my dad shot a deer with a Copper Solid, distance was about 40-50 yds., that didn't pass through because it lodged itself in the deer's bone. I don't know exactly what bone.

If a deer is shot in the chest, I would imagine their is enough energy to bust through the rib cage.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:06 PM
DM

One thing I can say, is a slug makes a nice exit and a big hole, but a 270 or 06 under 100 yards melts the lungs, causes extreme trauma to the heart, liver, anything around. A good boiler room shot from a high powered rifle is much more devastating than a slug.
I agree, i have a HUGE amount "more" faith in a "properly loaded" for the job30-06 than i do any shotgun slug.

My brother and ihelped afriend track down a buck he shot with a 12ga.useing a slug one time.We tracked the buck over 1/2 mile beforehe stoodup in some brush in the middle of an hay field! My brother shot and put him down withhis 22 Win. Mag. he was carrying. The shotgun slug did go through the chest, but that buck was still alive the next day when we finally found it!!

The slug just punched a slug sized hole through the deer, any decent30-06 bullet would have made a huge hole in that same deer.

This is not uncommon and i'd take a rifle over a shotgun any day!

Drilling Man
Old 11-17-2005, 03:07 PM
bigcountry

Uh ok, you mean broadsided?

The question was 100 yards. I can't can't speak for your dad. I can only speak of the dozens I have seen.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: djgj200

Oh man, where do I start.

Lets see, I have seen copper solids, sluggers, lightfields bunches of times, and federal barnes not exit at 100 yards. But federal hydroshoks seem to exit in most circumstances. Hope it helps.

Ditto, brennke also. Most slugs I've found in the far side of the hide,bone..

I haven't had a problem with winchester partion gold 2 3/4 385grain sabot not exiting so far.

Quick Reply: 12ga. slug vs 30cal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.