Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Dominant left eye/right handed >

Dominant left eye/right handed

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Dominant left eye/right handed

Old 11-14-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Dominant left eye/right handed

Hello everyone, I have a question that might have been answered on here already but here goes -

My wife is wanting to start hunting. She is very excited but I have found out that she has a dominant left eye but is right handed. I am getting ready to help her learn the basics of rifle/shooting mechanics. Has anyone run into this issue? if so, do you have any advise for me as I try and teach her to shoot crossover?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:57 PM

Default RE: Dominant left eye/right handed

From what i hear (i'm right eye dominant and right handd) it will be better to teach her shooting left handed. i think that there are some here who had the same problem who could tell you more, but if she's a new shooter it should be easier to teach her before she learns to shoot right handed.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:02 PM

Both my 25 year old daughter and my 13 year old son are cross dominate. They both shoot a pistol right handed and aim with the left eye. We tried it both ways; and they both shoot rifle and shotgun right-handed -and just close the left eye. Seems like there is very littlehandicap with the pistol and rifle, but both of them have some trouble with the shotgun.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:05 PM

Well, I am planning on starting this weekend. Yes I am going to teach her to shoot left-handed or try to. I can do both but that comes from years of hunting and only out of necissity to make a clean shot.

The plan so far ( I am going to sight in her rifle ahead of time).

1. Start her with a level shooting table/bench and sighting rest.
2. Have her shoulder the rifle on her left shoulder and find a comfortable resting position with her hands and arms
3. Set the target at 25 yards
4. Fire a round and make adjustments if necessary in rifle position as related to her body.
5. Fire around round and make adjustments
6. Repeat 5 and 6 until she feels comfortable in shooting/recoil and placement of her arms hands and cheek.
7. Start working on shooting and placing shots in the target kill zone.

So whadda you think? Good approach?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am left handed and right eye dominant. I used to shoot left handed when I was little, then realized I was right eye dominant. I shoot right handed now, and it really didn't take that much time to get used to it. You shouldn't have too much trouble teaching her to shoot left handed, since she hasn't shot before. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:49 PM
bigcountry

I struggle with eye dominance. The only places where it is a real drag is pistol shooting, (which I can shoot either hand) and bow. Archery I don't think I can change over. But it has caused me to miss boar with a bow before. Cause my left eye is struggling to pop open when he was running around towards me.

Not much you can do. If she can, try lefty with rifle or whatever your teaching.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

ihave the same problem when using a scoped rifle i learned to shoot with booth eyes open. istill use left eye witha pistol though try the booth eyes open thing with a scoped rifle
Old 11-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My nephews were in the 4H shooting club and their coach was the shooting coach for Texas A&M. He always had them shoot whichever eye was dominant regardless if they were right handed or left handed.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Anyone shooting a firearm should be wearing Shooting Glasses. I am left dominate and right handed. Normaly one closes the Left Eye to aim, so it's no problem.

When shooting a shotgun, you point not aim. If you place a small sticker on the Left Len's of the shooting glasses just to cover the pupil of the eye, you will have no problem!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant. I just close my left eye when I shoot...

Quick Reply: Dominant left eye/right handed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.