Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What are good, cheap, scope rings? >

What are good, cheap, scope rings?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What are good, cheap, scope rings?

Old 12-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What are good, cheap, scope rings?

Like DM, I have mounted a couple hundred scopes on rifles of every caliber with Weaver rings and bases. Zero problems of any kind. I sold guns for twenty years and sold and mounted scopes almost every day. I have used several brands of Weaver style rings as well. I love the Millet Windage adjustable rings. When the Weaver Quad rings came out, I bought about 25 sets of them and they are as tough as it gets. Nothing is going to shoot those puppies loose. If you have trouble with Weaver rings and bases, you or someone else did something wrong because when insalled right, they will and have held up well on my 416 Rem Mag and several 375 H&H rifles that I mounted scopes on for African trips for some customers. Plus Many 7 Mags and 338 Mags.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haveone with the Burris, one with the Loopy Duals and a few with the Weavers. For the price the Weavers are it. I cant see where either of the others were any better...but they were about 3 times higher.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:07 PM

I dont think there is such a thing as "GOOD CHEAP" rings. you can get a good pair for $20-$40. I dont see why youd want to go cheap, save $10 and risk it.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NVMIKE

I dont think there is such a thing as "GOOD CHEAP" rings. you can get a good pair for $20-$40. I dont see why youd want to go cheap, save $10 and risk it.
In Alaska, I discovered the hard way that Weaver rings and bases would survive blows that wrecked scopes (like a rifle bouncing a couple hundred yards down the rock-strewn side of a mountain) with no damage to the rings or bases!

BUT, they are UGHLY and it is hardl to keep the crosshairs level when you tighten up the ring screws, because as the ring straps tighten down, they rotate a little, and this can turn the scope tube also. So you have to START with the scope reticle a little off-level in the opposite direction from that which the straps are going to rotatewhen cinching down, and hope you offset the tube the right amount so that the reticle is level when you are donetightening the screws.

However, I will admit to having a subconscious prejudice in favor of all-steel bases and rings. Even though I realize that Weaver aluminum bases and rings are sturdy enough, I don't use them these days! Weird, huh??

For example, the Ruger rings that go on the M77 and No.1 rifles are solid steel, and seem to hold very well. This is my idea of a strong scope mounting arrangement.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 AM

Yeah, what do the weavers rings cost, or leuopold rings cost? Not much. But why save a few bucks (very few)when good ones are just a little more.For an extra 10-15 bucks your assured quality.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:53 AM
Spike

Default scope rings

cdnn investments
have some scope rings on sale
Old 11-01-2016, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default Scope Rings

Weaver Grand Slam rings will work with the bases that came from the factory. They're inexpensive (Sold at Wal-Mart) & very strong. I'm sure the rings that came with your rifle are aluminum. The Weaver Grand Slam's are carbon steel.