Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What are good, cheap, scope rings? >

What are good, cheap, scope rings?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What are good, cheap, scope rings?

Old 11-13-2005, 12:11 PM

Default What are good, cheap, scope rings?

I don't know much about rings, but I've heard and can tell that the rings that came on the 110 Savage Package aren't very good. I've been advised to get better ones immediatly. As of now the rings don't even hold the scope tight, it wiggles slightly. What are some good rings I'll be able to use with a better scope when I get one that don't cost a ton, since I just bought the gun I don't have a bunch of money right now.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:00 PM

Default RE: What are good, cheap, scope rings?

From least expensive to more cost, I've used Weaver rings, Millet, and Leupold. I've not had any problem with any of 'em. I like the Leupold now with the torx head screws.
BTW, your scope should not "wiggle" even with inexpensive rings. I've never seen that happen. Are you using 1" rings? What brand are they?

Old 11-13-2005, 04:19 PM

I got it fixed, the screw was stripped whenI got it, piece of junk. I had to wedge the wrong size allen wrench in it but then I got it tight.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:52 PM

Like someone said, there's a bunch of "standard" rings that will undoubtedly do just fine. My two rifles have burris and leupold - I can't tell the difference. They didn't cost very much- compared to the rifles and scopes, it is almost nothing! I've heard the various types of options in standard weaver rings are also good, but I haven't used them.

As for the wrench issue you described - are you sure the nut wasn't a torx nut, not allen? My most recent rings and mounts all have torx, my older ones are allen.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:08 PM
DM

I prefer "Weaver split rings" over the high priced spread because they are very strong, and "if" installed properly they just don't fail!!!

I have seen the high priced spread fail though!

Drilling Man
Old 11-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would use Leupold Quick Release bases and rings on your Savage. I use them on a .340 Wby. Mag., and have never had any problems.

Burris makes a two piece Double Dovetail mounts and rings for your Savage.

I have had bad experences with Weaver rings and bases, so I stay away from them. Weaver type rings and bases from other manufactures may be of better quality, but I have never tried them.
Good luck.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:00 AM

Thanks, the nut was allen I think. What does a torx look like. The allen wrench did fine on the other ones, but this one was stripped when we got it.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:35 AM

You can own a $1500 Sako with a $1500 Zeiss and have a set of cheap rings that make the whole outfit worthless. I like the Burris Signature rings....the teflon or whatever inserts grip like crazy and they will not damage your expensive scope.They are around 30 bucks which is a steal IMHO. Regards, Rick.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: tykempster

Thanks, the nut was allen I think. What does a torx look like. The allen wrench did fine on the other ones, but this one was stripped when we got it.
Torx is a 6 sided pattern like allen, but the sides are cupped rather than straight. It kind of makes a rounded star pattern. To my old, crummy eyes, I often have to put on my reading glasses to tell the difference. Its conceivable that you could fit a under-sized allen wrench into a torx socket and it would seem stripped. I'm not saying this is the case for you, but something to think about.

Look at this web site, it shows all sorts of fastener heads. The other one that has messed me up in the past is the posidriv - which is very similar to philips head, but can get messed up if you try to use a philips head driver.

http://www.lara.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?cart_id=6714902.30178&detailpage= screwtypes
Old 11-14-2005, 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: handloader1

I have had bad experences with Weaver rings and bases, so I stay away from them. Weaver type rings and bases from other manufactures may be of better quality, but I have never tried them.
Good luck.
What were your experiences. I recently mounted a low power compact scope on a 30-30 lever gun. I originally was sold weaver base and rings by a gun shop. I ended up trading them in for leupold base and rings. The aluminum weaver set up just didn't seem as solid. Could be I was just used to the leupold type (other gun has burris base and rings w/ leupold scope- the burris base and rings are virtually identical to the leupold I bought.) I have heard pretty much nothing but good things about the Weaver set up, on -line as well as the two gun shops I go to, so I really just based my decision on personal preference. I do know the Leupold set was quite a bit more expensive, but not significant compared to the gun+ scope cost (something like $30 total cost compared to $15 for the Weaver?).

Quick Reply: What are good, cheap, scope rings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.