Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Good starter rifle? >

Good starter rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good starter rifle?

Old 11-12-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Good starter rifle?

I'm going to start rifle shooting in a few months and am looking for a good starter rifle. I'm looking for calibres between .22 and .270, but bigger calibres are also welcome. Here are the requirements I'd like to see (your suggestions don't have to fill all of them - it'd be OK though):

- as said, .22-.270, but can also get a bigger one if necessary
- bipod (with or without, as long as I can attach one)
- not too expensive (preferabely 1000€ or so)
- scope with the rifle
- able to shoot at least short and medium ranges - I might get into long ranges later, and probably get another gun for it
- not semi-automatic as they're quite illegal in Finland
- I'm not a hunter, might shoot a mole or two from our garden but I guess any rifle can dispose of them
- could be a magnum... or not. No matter.
- preferabely bolt-action

Also, if you happen to know prices for bullets, shell casings or anything else I might need for starting, please provide me with as much information as possible. I have time.

I've gotten my eyes on two SAKO models - T3 Hunter and Quad, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions before doing anything.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:41 PM

Default RE: Good starter rifle?

If you don't plan on doing anything with your rifle other than using it for a paper punch,I would recommend whatever you can aquire cheap ammo for. I don't know how available or expensiveor available 17 HMR or 17 HMR mach 2s are in Finland. The Sako Quad is a fine rifle, but if you are only going to use one barrel, is it worth the price? How expensive are 22 long rifles in Finland? I can get 500 rounds for less than $10 here. You won't haveto look very hard to find a quality 22 long rifle.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:50 PM

The .22 is good for just shooting around, but if you ever wanted to shoot something bigger, or shoot long range I would look at a .223. These are inexpensive to shoot (not as cheap as .22LR) fun, and accurate.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:18 PM

You can get military surplus...at least in the states, check and see if you military uses these rounds....308 or30-06. There's actual some recoil to deal with...but they're very tolerable (unless you're shooting the heavier bullets). This way amo cost isn't too high and if you ever want to go hunting you won't need another gun.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:21 AM

Aren't the metric calibers popular there? Like 7mm and stuff? Those are flat shooting powerful rounds with recoil compared to a 30-06. 30-06 or 308 would be a good choice too.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

With you being in Finland the 6.5x55 is very popular so ammunition should be easy to locate at reasonable prices.Recoil is also mild and barrel life is quite long.The t-3 if awell maderifle and is usually very accurate with a reasonable price tag.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very good advice from Stubblejumper----------
Old 11-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Stubbie too, the 6.5X55 is a good caliber! I am going out on a limb here, but by your questions, I'd say you don't have too much experience with rifles!If thats right, I'd caution you not to go with too big of a caliber without knowing what kind of recoil that you can tolerate!
6.5 should really fit the lower recoil bill too!
Old 11-24-2005, 10:32 PM

I would suggest you get a used Rem 700 Heavy Varmit in .,308 with the 1/12 twist, recoil is not heavy, or any good bolt action.Go to www.ebay.com and looked up in sporting goods, Hunting, then go to Reloading. I just took a look there is all kinds of supplies for .308 cheap, saw 500 once fired brass federal was at $9.00, bullets also cheap, as well sets of dies,very cheap. I have found the .308 very ease to get to shoot good, I sold my .308 HV but it would shoot under1/2" groups 5 shots regularly. I used 39 grs of H 4895 with 168gr sierra bullets. And if you don,t want to reload there is also lots of cheap ammo available the second choice or could be first is the .223 these two calibers are army issue and supplys are plentyfull
Good luck shooting is fun and relaxfull
Old 11-25-2005, 09:30 AM

Remington 700 varmint in 223.

Quick Reply: Good starter rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.