HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   S&W model 36 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/119889-s-w-model-36-a.html)

SPIKEHORN11 11-06-2005 07:59 AM

S&W model 36

I just pick up a Smith and Wesson model 36 in .38 special. I paid $150.00 for it from a family member. I really don't know too much about revolvers so if anyone has any knowledge or comments I would like to hear them. Also will it handle +P rounds? I know the gun was bought used when he got on with the city police 17 years ago. Thanks for any replys.

SPIKEHORN11 11-06-2005 08:17 AM

RE: S&W model 36

Well I found a Pic on the net of the same exact gun.They called it the model 36 "flat latch"

Knightia 11-06-2005 02:38 PM

The wife use to have one of those- chief speicals mod .36 in nickle(it was stolen)

Seemed like a pretty good gun & it was rather(overly) pricey being a smith- so sounds like a ok price you payed to.

Replaced it with a ruger sp101 357 mag(like it better)

I didnt really like that hinged/piviting fireing pin on the hammer much on the smiths. Dont know if ya can use p+ loads or not.

Seems like ya got a good deal on a good gun it me.

jmfa1957 11-06-2005 03:11 PM

Recommend that you do not use +P loads for everyday practice in this weapon. Same advice goes for the very similar Taurus 85. A couple of boxes of +P would probably loosen things up a bit too much. A few rounds to see where they group would be all I would risk, then save the rest of the box of +P for carry purposes (if carrying is legal where you live.)

You gotGREAT deal, by the way. These are very good little carry weapons for short range self defense work. You might want better grips though - - the recoil is pretty stout even with mild loads in these little things and better grips aid in controllability.

James B 11-06-2005 04:34 PM

I agree. Use wad cutters or other mild loads for practice. Carry the +P 158 grain Lead Hollow Points for defense. Fire a few to see where they hit in comparison. Your gun is a fine little carry gun.

SPIKEHORN11 11-07-2005 06:13 AM

I wish I could carry. I live in Onondaga county in NY. I nkow people have carry permits but they are cops or peace officers or people who kew people [:@]. Wish I knew somebody. But I got my fingers crossed for a job at the county jail as a correction officer. Thanks for your replies.

Ruger-Redhawk 11-07-2005 05:24 PM

Spikehorn you did well pricewise.The little Chief Specials are a great carry gun.As already mentioned I would advise you to limit the use of +P's.The Ruger SP101's will handle +P. The little "J' frames weren't designed forthe hotter +P's.The Flat latch if I'm not mistaken were earlier models of the Cheif Specials.Model 60's were the Stainless version and the Model 37 were the "AirWeight" version

Ruger Redhawk

Ruger-Redhawk 11-07-2005 05:28 PM

Note the Diamond cut into the grips of the M36 shown. That gun is a earlier version.The later ones came with a the standard latch and plain checkered Walnut grips without the diamond..

Ruger Redhawk

Charley 11-07-2005 09:45 PM

$150 is a good price for a Smith. I bought an almost identical early M36 aboutfive years ago from a gunsmith friend who just wanted to turn it quickly. Mine was an SAPD officer's backup gun for almost 20 years. Finish was worn a little, but inside was like new. Did just a bit of polishing and the action went from smooth to really smooth! It's my favorite "not carrying a gun" carry gun because it is so compact. Because of the five round capacity, I carry a Bianchi Speed Strip with an additional gunload of ammo when I do carry it. My carry load is Pro-Load's 110 grain standard pressure JHP. One round is no test, of course, but used as a finisher on a whitetail, one round thru the ribcage/lung area gave about 12 inches of penetration, with the bullet lodged under the hide on the offside. Expansion was to .501 inches, range was about six feet.Not bad for anon +P .38 Special.
Learn to use the sights and some trigger control, and the M36 becomes much more than a 'short range defensive gun". You can hit much further out than most folks will believe.

SPIKEHORN11 11-08-2005 10:21 AM

well I shot it today. It is gonna take alot of getting use to. I don't really like the trigger pull. I had to move closer about maybe 12 yards to see rounds hitting the target. I am gonna buy alot of ammo and just practice.