Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 new to hunting, need rifle advice >

new to hunting, need rifle advice

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new to hunting, need rifle advice

Old 11-01-2005, 01:10 PM

Default new to hunting, need rifle advice

im going hunting for the first time and the person i am hunting with suggested a 30-06 as a good all around cartridge. was looking at the savage 111f. however, ran across a weatherby 7mm mag in walmart for $299 - is this too good of a buy?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:51 PM

Default RE: new to hunting, need rifle advice

I can't advise you on the price of the gun -whether its a good buy or not.

But the 7 mm mag will beexcellent for deer hunting at all ranges, and MIGHT be a TINY bit better than the '06 at very long ranges (that's debatable because at the ranges that most of us can shoot accurataly, the '06 will do just as well). I'll "bet" you get comments that say it's too much gun, but I know many, many people who hunt deer with 7mm mag. You will NEVER notice the difference between a 7 mag and an '06 in the size of hole it puts in a deer and the deer will not notice either. It's got a tiny bit more range than a 30-06. It shoots the bullet faster, but the bullet (generally) is lighter. They are very close to equivalent. The size of the bullet is about the same as the .270 cal which is also a very common deer rifle.

The main differences in my very limited experience (I've only shot a friend's 7mm mag a couple of times) is I thought the kick was a tiny bit harder and the ammo was more expensive. Neither you will notice unless you shoot a lot.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

The rifle that you see at wallmart is a weatherby vanguard which is made by howa in japan.It is actually a very good value for the price and I prefer it over savage.I actually prefer the 7mmremmag over the 30-06 as itoffers slightly more velocity with similar recoil.Ammunitionfor the 7mmremmag does cost a little morebut a good variety of factory loadsare available.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:16 PM

I actually prefer the savage rifles and the 30 06 is my favourite unless you plan to hunt elk. For Elk the 7mm mag probably has an edge in down range energy andflatter trajectory. The savages are super tough, accurate and well made. the platform is a time tested action that has been areound for a long time. The weatherby is not a weatherby at all but is made by a company called Howa in japan. Still the howa is a good rifle. Either one in either calber would be a fine rifle and would serve you in hunting anything up to grizzly bears. I will tell you why I prefer the 30 06 over the 7mm mag for general (non Elk) hunting. The cartridge is accurate.The recoil is completely managableYou have a big slection of bullet weights. You have the biggest selection of factory loadings. If you reload, there is more equipment for reloading the '06 than any other cartridge. The '06 is fine up to 300 yards and decent at 400 yards (IF YOU CAN SHOOT YARDS which most can't).30 06 is cheap ammo and if you head to the wood for a whiteteailor Muley hunt and you forget your ammo at home, you can be sure of finding 30 06 at the local bait shop.
I think you are on the right track with both of your options and calibers. They are both good cheap guns and fine cartridges. The Current trend is toward bigger faster and more powerful cartridges like the 7mm mag. However I shoot the '06 better than all other rounds except the .22 because I am a little recoil sensitive. And I like the idea of shooting a caliber that is 100 years old and still holds it's own.
Just my 2 cents
okcmco
Old 11-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

The cartridge is accurate.
so is the 7mmremmag

The recoil is completely managable
the same for the 7mmremmag

You have a big slection of bullet weights.

So does the 7mmremmag.But in actuality a 140gr to 160gr bullet is all that you will require in a 7mmremmag for big game hunting.

As far as the .308" bullets are concerned the 150gr to 180gr bullets are all that is required for big game hunting.The 110gr bullets aren't suitable for big game hunting and the 200gr and 220gr bullets are simply not required and don't shoot well in some 30-06 rifles.

You have the biggest selection of factory loadings.

true,but they are more than enough factory loads for the 7mmremmag to fit any big game hunting situation.

If you reload, there is more equipment for reloading the '06 than any other cartridge.

If you are talking reloading components the statement is not true as any bullet that can be used in a 30-06 can also be used in any other cartridge that uses .308" bullets.These include the 308win,and many 300 mags.The same can be said for primers.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:49 PM

i would go with the 06, better all around cartridge, lots of loads available and the savage is normally a very accurate rifle
Old 11-01-2005, 05:09 PM

.30-06: ammo's cheaper.

7mm Rem Mag: a little faster and flatter shooting.

Here's what you do - put .30-06 on one slip of paper, and 7mm on another, have somebody hide one in their left hand, the other in their right. Then pick a hand. Seriously, it's that close.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:45 PM

Hard to beat a 270 Winchester....look at the Stevens 200,less than $260
Old 11-02-2005, 11:04 AM

That rifle for $299 is a good deal, I say "buy it."

Kev
Old 11-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

I will assume by hunting you mean whitetail deer. If this is so I would opt for a 270 Winchester. It's available in the guns you have listed and has nearly as many loads available for it as the 30-06. The normal bullet weight is 130 gr. and this will be flatter shooting and have less recoil than the standard 150 gr. load for the 30-06. Being new to hunting it is better to buy a rifle that you can manage and become proficient with it. For years my Grandma used a Winchester model 70 in 270. If Granny can shoot a 270 well then anyone can.

Quick Reply: new to hunting, need rifle advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.