Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Good long-range deer calibers. >

Good long-range deer calibers.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good long-range deer calibers.

Old 10-30-2005, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Good long-range deer calibers.

7mmultra mag is ultimate long range caliber
Old 10-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: REM7MMAG

7mmultra mag is ultimate long range caliber
The 7mmultramag is a great cartridge but unless sales increase dramatically in the near future,remington will probably stop producing it.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first choice is the 308 Win. & 7mm Rem. Mag. a close second.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:10 PM

257 weatherby mag. is the king of the 25 cal. 1 would say this is the best cal. you can use for deer on down.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

To tell you the honest truth I didn't realize that doe was 512 yards when I squeezed the trigger. We were hunting in the sandhills in Nebraksa and the rancher wanted us to fill our doe tags, so I decided to shoot my mulie doe on the run (looked to be 300 yards), but there was a pretty good downhill slope, and a few hills in the way. After the shot when we were walking to the deer, we are like this is alot further than 300 yards, so when we got to where the deer was we lasered it with 2 different laser range finders and came up with an average of 512 yards.

If it was me looking for a gun like you are now, I would opt for the 7mm Rem Mag, especially if you plan on hunting larger game down the line or a 300 Win Mag. I'd stay away from the 30-06 just because there are better options, like the first two I mentioned[:'(]

A better question would be, what is your price range? You want to have enough money after rifle purchase to put on a set of quality optics for making those longer shots.

With "most" factory 7mm ammo, you can sight in 3" high at 100 yardsand hold dead on to 280-300 yards.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rammer

To tell you the honest truth I didn't realize that doe was 512 yards when I squeezed the trigger. We were hunting in the sandhills in Nebraksa and the rancher wanted us to fill our doe tags, so I decided to shoot my mulie doe on the run (looked to be 300 yards), but there was a pretty good downhill slope, and a few hills in the way. After the shot when we were walking to the deer, we are like this is alot further than 300 yards, so when we got to where the deer was we lasered it with 2 different laser range finders and came up with an average of 512 yards.
In that case the shot was extremely lucky considering that your bullet should have dropped about two feet more at 512 yards than at 300 yards.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, I'd rather be lucky than good anyday! [8D]

My rifle was dead on for that hunt at 300 yards, and we figured it was enough of a downhill incline it must have compensated for it. I had the crosshairs level on its backbone, swung about 8 feet in front of it, squeezed the trigger and followed thru, and that was it for that deer. Bullet was a 95gr Combined Technology Ballistic Tip, and it was a double lung heart shot with a tennis ball size exit hole.

My longest standing shot with the 243 was 475 yards on a coyote in Nebraska on the same trip with Sierra 70gr Blitz Kings.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old 10-31-2005, 07:05 AM

ty...I think we need to back up a bit....nobody has really looked at the customer buying the gun...so its really hard to give good suggestions...

What is YOUR level of hunting experience??? How many 250 yard shots have you made on deer?? What state do you hunt in?? Do you prefer to hunt in the woods or fields??? Do you have elk, grizzly etc in you plans???
What guns do you have experience hunting with?? Will you be shooting varmits with this gun in the off season??

Until we know more about you its very hard to give good answers...

Ok, I'm a 14 yeard old hunter from Missouri with about 3 years hunting experience. Just moved from the city so now I can start hunting more. I like fields much more than woods, shots where I need fast reaction are harder for me than long shots where I have time. I don't plan on hunting bigger game anytime soon, too young. I don't plan on varmint hunting.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks ty...A good bolt action in .243, .25-06, 7mm-08, .270 or .30-06 is all you need...Top it with a decent 3x9x40 scope and you can kill any deer in Missouri....I have killed over 130 deer with my .243...but if you want something bigger and recoil is no problem its hard to beat a .270..
Factory ammo is readily avaliable anywhere they sell cartridges..Sight in 2 1/2 inches high at 100 yards with a good 130 gr bullet and you can hold dead on to 250...98% of the deer killed each year will be killed within 250 yards...And most hunters limit out each year within 150 yards...If you feel like a short action gun "fits" you better..Go with a 7mm-08...I have a brother that has killed a mess of deer with a Remington Model 7 in that caliber...shooting 140gr CoreLokts..

I would suggest .243, .270 and 7mm-08 over the 25-06 simply because most 25-06s have a longer barrel than a standard .270 and ammo isn't as readily avaliable, and selection isn't as good...Although a 30-06 is a great round...it does have more recoil than some hunters want...And once a hunter starts flinching its hard to get him to stop (or admit) and frankly a 30-06 is really more than is needed for most deer killed in the US...

That being said...if you happen to find a good deal on a 25-06 or a 30-06, and like the way the rifle handles and don't feel recoil of a 30-06 to be a problem either will do a fine job...Good Luck

Quick Reply: Good long-range deer calibers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.