Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 max point blank range >

max point blank range

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

max point blank range

Old 10-29-2005, 12:22 PM

Default max point blank range

Can anyone tell me the maximum point blank range for a browning abolt with a 22 inch barrel shooting 140 grain winchester ballistic silvertips and how high i need to adjust it at 100 yards. How do you figure this out so i can do it with my other rifles.

zesterhouse
Old 10-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: max point blank range

What caliber? sounds like something in the 7mm family. EJ
Old 10-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

To start with what is the maximum distance that you want the bullet to be above or below the line of sight?What is the exact velocity of the load out of your rifle?What is the ballistic co-efficient of the bullet?What is the height of your crosshairs above the center of the bore?Once you have all the required data,you can estimate the maximum point blank range and the 100 yard point of impact.However remember that this is only an estimate and the actualpoint of impact may vary by several inches at 300 yards.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:25 PM

Go to a ballistics program like Exbal or Infinity. You can plug in all the variables - even elevation and the height of the scope above the bore - then tweak the chart until you get what you want. With most "standard" calibers, I have my guns sighted in 3" high at 100 yards. The fast ones are still a little high at 300 yards - the slower ones are three or four inches low at 300 yards. But it allows me to hold on the chest of a big game animal out to 300 yards without much thought. This is about as far as most people should be shooting anyway.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:42 PM

sorry, it's a 280 rem, i think the sights are 1.5 inches high. I'll be hunting whitetail so six inches above or below is all i want.
thanks

zesterhouse
Old 10-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Go to sst.benchrest.com click on max point blank rang and fill in the blanks i have found this to be pretty accurate i hope this helps chad
Old 10-29-2005, 07:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do not like to use the entire target size to figure my MPBR. I like to leave some room for error. By this I mean if I am shooting at a 12" diameter target you got six inches above and six inches below center. I would rather figure my MPBR for a target half the size. So I use three inches above and three inches below line of sight as my MPBR. This gives me room for error and still make a killing shot on an animal.

If you use the entire targets diameter then you can not make any mistakes at the bullets highest point or its maximum range/ lowest point. If you do something like flinch ever so slightly then your bullet will be off the mark and you get a wounded animal. Also you gotta figure that you, nor your rifle are going to be able to put every bullet into a single hole at all distances you may be shooting. You gotta leave room for things effecting the bullet that you can not control such as barrel vibrations, differances in velocity between shots, wind speed and direction, temperature, weather, altitude, etc...

Out of a 22 inch barrel with that bullet we will figure about 2850 fps muzzle velocity cause you aint gonna get the 3040 advertised. Being that you aren't shooting with a test barrel and you lost 2 inches.

Sight in to be hitting 2.5 inches high at 100 yards. That should put you three inches high at about 135 yards, back to zero at about 240 yards and about 3 inches low at 285 yards and at 300 yards about 4.5 incles low. Sighted in this way you will be able to hold on a deer out to almost 300 yards and not worry about any hold over.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

"To start with what is the maximum distance that you want the bullet to be above or below the line of sight?"

In addition to this, HOW MUCH above & below the LOS do you desire? This is based on the game you plan to shoot! For deer, I don't want the bullet to be much over 4" above or below the center hold. But for an elk or moose, you can at least double that and still make a vital hit using a center hold!

And, as stubblejumper says, you have to know the MV and ballistic coefficient of your ammo/rifle combination, plus the distance from the center of the bore to the optical centerline of your scope.

When you have this information, go to http://www.handloads.com/calc/and play with the zeroing distances to get the figures you are looking for.

BTW, barrel length is not germaine to this particular question. You MUST KNOW the actual, exact MV of the load you are firing regardless of barrel length.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

MPBR on deer is 4" (+ or - 4") that includes + or - 2" human error. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mr. Zesterhouse
I'll be hunting whitetail so six inches above or below is all i want.
thanks
zesterhouse
Man,+/- six inches on deer? Might as well close your eyes, and pull the trigger!
I wouldn't go more than a 3" MPBR! And don't forget the practice at that! Just because the MPBR is X inches at X yards, doesn't make up for the hours of practice required for good shooting!

Quick Reply: max point blank range

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.