Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 StillHunting, stalking gun >

StillHunting, stalking gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

StillHunting, stalking gun

Old 10-25-2005, 08:25 AM

Default StillHunting, stalking gun

Hello everyone, I am planning to do a good bit of still hunting this year, mainly to see some new country and am looking for a good little, lite, gun to carry asI walk. I have been looking at the New England Firearms single shot. I use a 270 cal, is this too small of a gun for the 270? accuracy, recoil etc? Or is it a good combination. I have also considered dropping back a little to maybe 257 cal. Any opinions are appreciated, thanks.

Kevin
Old 10-25-2005, 09:22 AM

Default RE: StillHunting, stalking gun

Never fired the New England rifle in .270, but I wouldguess the recoil should be quite managable. Of course, that is subjective. My first choice would be the Winchester model '94 Trapper. Fast handling in brush, but not a long-distance gun (30/30 cal.)

Try here for .270:
http://www.brownprecision.com/SelectingComponents.htm

Or, Remington makes a mountain rifle in .270, but why they use a 22 inch barrel I don't understand
Look here:
http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700mtnls.htm
or:
http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700mtndm.htm

Good luck! I still-hunt most of the time.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on the range if I was looking for a stalking still hunting in,river bottoms,timber or thickets I would take my personal favorite.Marlin 1985 in 450 marlin,18 1/2 barrel,fast to shoulder and quick pointing.

If shots could strech out to 200 yds or so,Ruger ultra light M77 in .257 Roberts.
BBJ
Old 10-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a T-C Encore, stainless frame and blued barrelwithsynthetic stock. I have a custom made 18" barrel in 25-06. The gun is short light and very acurate. I reload it with 100grn Nosler BT. I topped it with a 50mm 3-9 Leupold. I own many rifles but almost always grab this one from the safe. I get more compliments and questions on "where do I get on of those" then on any other gun I own.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowhunterWV

New England Firearms single shot
That is the first gun that came to my mind when I read the title of the post. I have carried a NEF single shot shotgun on many successful stalks. In a lite rifle caliber it can only get better...
Old 10-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

I carry a marlin 1894P in 44 magnum when i still hunt.It has an 16 1/2 inch barrel and hold 8 rounds. It has apost front sight and a ghost ring peep.I like this rig so much that I am using it in my treestand also.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:05 PM

If you have the money, you can't go wrong with the Remington Model 700 Titanium in .260 Remington. The rifle itself weighs in under 5 1/2 pounds, and has very little recoil. If you reload, you can cook up some very nice loads with the Barnes triple shock X-bullet, and you will be ready to rock and roll. You can also mate the rifle with a nice compact scope like the Leupold VXIII 1.75-6x32mm scope. If you stick with the 32mm objective lens you would be able to use the "low" rings and really get a nice compact rifle.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Bowhunter:

I would also go with a marlin lever or guide gun. That is what I use for still hunting in .45-70. It is a 200 yard gun, but I would never even get a shot of 80 yards where I hunt. It is the handiest little rifle I have ever owned and perfect for still hunting. They are inexpensive, you get 4 rounds with the guide gun, can use them w or w/o scopes and as an added bonus, you don't have to worry about hitting yourself in the face with along actionbolt rifle when cycling for a quick 2nd shot!

Good luck,
CE
Old 10-25-2005, 07:58 PM

I think you would only want the .257 if you reload.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would take a look at the new Browning BLR which is now chambered in .358 win again. Its @ 6 1/2 lbs and points like a bird gun with amazing firepower.

Quick Reply: StillHunting, stalking gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.