Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 CZ 550 Safari...stock cracks??? >

CZ 550 Safari...stock cracks???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

CZ 550 Safari...stock cracks???

Old 10-24-2005, 02:37 AM

Default CZ 550 Safari...stock cracks???

I've been doing some research on these rifles because I like the action, and the capacity, and the looks, and well pretty much everything, and I want to get a 375 H&H...anyway...I read online that these guns have a problem with the stock cracking due to recoil. I wanted to know if anyone here could back this up? Also, if it is a recoil problem...would I be able to have a gunsmith put in two big recoil lugs like the Winchester 70 Safari?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CZ 550 Safari...stock cracks???

I have never heard this before, butI will keep a close watch on mine. So far so good, but I really haven't shot that many rounds through it.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:36 PM

Tom,
Not much traffic on CZ's here.
Try the Big Bore Section (about 4 pages down from the top of the Forums over at AccurateReloading.com)
http://http://forums.accuratereloading.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/4711043
Do a Search re: CZ stocks and reinforcement & you should find all the specifics you should need.

Upshot: Any big bore (375HH b-a-r-e-l-y qualifies) needs cross bolts fore and aft of the magazine [and one thru the wrist to secure the tang doesn't hurt] PLUS it needs to be glass bedded (preferrably steel bedded) and inlet the tang/wood fit by 2 to 3/32" then youshould begood to go. I'vefollowed the litany of Weatherbys, Win M-70's, Rugers M77 Safaris, Rem M-700's etc. etc. etc. that did not have all "the work done" (and very few manufacturers doALL the work at the factory) that resulted in cracked the stocks as a result of recoil of cartridges larger than 375HH. Naysayers are out there saying it isn't or shouldn't be necessary; however, many withthis sort of rifle leave them sitting in their safe and neverput more than50 rounds thru them in their life (though 50 can crack them).

You are borderline with the 375HH. I'd glass it and cross bolt it if I it were mine because I want NO surprises while far away from home. Your call.

Big Boresain't your daddy's Oldsmobile.... thus, extraordinary stuff generally requires extraordinary pre-cautions.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:10 PM

Full of useful knowledge you are ElKampMaster.

That AR board is top notch too. TONS of info there.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

They are prone to cracked stocks. I never had it happen to me but have read quite a few reports of it happening.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:57 AM

The only benefits that I see for the Winchester over the CZ is that it has crossbolts before and after the action, and the swivel is on a band on the barrel. I would think that a gun smith could solve both of those problems. I like the action on the CZ because its a true magnum action, and not a regular action that you squeeze a big magnum cartridge into. I also like the sights on the CZ better as well. Could someone tell me if a gunsmith would be able to install cross bolts on a CZ? Thanks.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:53 AM

Tom, I went through the same shopping exercise as you about 6 months ago.I am going to Africa in May and was lookng for my first .375. I was pretty hot on the CZ after I read alot. After I handled a few my mnd changed. They are very solid guns but not the most greceful. I found them slugish to move quickly and not that balanced. The wood stock on the standard odel is of lower quality. Then I handled several win 70 express's and it was a fast decision for me. Better balance, nicer feel if your use to american rifles and much better wood. I bought my 70 at a Cabelas store and surprisingly to me I ended up paying about the same as I would have for the CZ. Look hard at the winchester, cant go wrong.
Then of curse comes the next hard choice, what scope
Old 10-25-2005, 06:52 PM

Mike, did you think that the wood was lesser quality? or did it just not look as pretty? I can deal with not pretty lol. As far as the handling, did you try the American version of the rifle? Or just the hump backed euro african version? That could make a difference.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:01 PM

i am looking at this gun too. The CZ550 Safari Magnum in 300 winmag. Looks like a nice gun and i like the stock. I am not worried about what it looks like as long as it shots good. So i am compairing this one and the remington Model 700SPS DM. I do have a ? on the CZ i know on the mauser actions they tend to rip the casings when there extracted. Is this a problem with the CZ?

Lotec
Old 10-25-2005, 08:36 PM

I have an M-70 in 375HH. Nice rifle. I started with CZ's when they were selling them at $607 new. Unfortunately they have moved right up in price, especially after the introduction of the American stock design. If I'm not hot after CZ's then M-70's are my automatic default especially in the bigger stuff.

IMHO, Euro/hogback stocks are actually MORE slim and easier to handle than the CZ American versions, though the American models may well be stronger due to their extra bulk. CZ will sell you as pretty a wood stock as you are willing to pay for.... multiple grades plus laminates. TON80 on gunbroker.com beats Cabelas on the CZ's I have priced and shipping/FFL fees usually equals sales taxto createa wash between an internet purchaseanda "store" purchasethus leaving you free to focus on just sales price.

Go to an outfit like Cabelas with a friend. Have them lay out all of their 375HH's. Handle them/shoulder themall using the blind/closed eyes test and have your friend keep tract which is which -- open your eyes only to sight down the barrel --- consciously avoid knowing which you are handling until youname the winner of the blind/closed eyes test. Then factor in the other trade off features. However, at the moment of truth, i.e. shooting something the blind/closed eyes test carries a lot of weight IMO. I did and the CZ won hands down (and was least expensvie too.... win-win), but especially with the big bores it is a very personal (fit) thing for recoil management--- different strokes for different folks.

BTW, I have had absolutely zero experience with "ripped" (or even bent) brass coming out of my CZ's or my M-70 and both have the claw extractor, though many argue the CZ is more "mauser-like".

Quick Reply: CZ 550 Safari...stock cracks???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.