Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What are your range experiences like? >

What are your range experiences like?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What are your range experiences like?

Old 10-23-2005, 10:59 PM

Default What are your range experiences like?

I was just wondering what everyones range experiences have been like. I have never shot at a range before and was thinking about going to one, but I don't know if I can enjoy it with the mix of rules/know-it-alls/idiots. I haven't heard too many positive things about my local range, Markham park in South Florida, and the good things I have heard come from people that I would fit into 2 of the above catogories. I have my own land that I hunt/shoot at now, but I would like to just go and see what it's like for once. If you have any good or bad input about the overall experience, go for it.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:47 AM

Default RE: What are your range experiences like?

The rules at the range can be annoying. You just have to remember that what seems elementary to you because you are experienced might be first page news to a novice. After a while, adhering to the rules is just second nature. You will get to the point where you know what the rangemaster is going to say before he does.

If you don't want to deal with comments from the "know-it-alls" then there is a simple way of doing it. Keep your hearing protection on all the time, and they won't talk to you lol.

I have never had any problems with anyone at the range. If you want to join one or try it out as a guest I say go for it.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:46 AM
Host of Hosts

I have shot at Markham Park years ago when I lived down south because it was the only rifle range around. It wasn't a bad experience, just have to pay attention to the range officers. At the time I went there it was a pretty nice range and the Army was shooting at the range next to where we were. It was pretty cool when all those AR's are firing at once, probably 50 at a time. I have no idea what Markham Park would be like now.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like going to the range except I go first thing in the morning when no one is around. I have time to set my targets and such before members start coming. Being at the range give me the opportunity to talk to members on hunts and each others equipment. I would say go for it, see what it’s like. You must at least be able to go once as a guest to see what it’s all about ..
Old 10-24-2005, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to shoot at Markham park. It isn't that bad. The last time I was there at least, they didn't have the load one, shoot one rule. Most ranges here in Michigan have that rule and it sucks.

Tom
Old 10-24-2005, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

public ranges can be a nightmare......exspecially this time of year...on say..a nice fall saturday......everyone gota shoot the 3 rds from the deer rifle they shoot a year.....better then the guys that dont shoot the deer rifle at all thoguh right?......and the rules can be annoying...though there for a reason..even if you cant think of it......there are guys that KNOW it al and dont say much.......then there are guys that THINK they know it all.....and really dont...and are always talkin.....then theres the guys just trying to shoot......then theres the idiots..ect ect........some days are worse then others.......and it can be comical just to sit there and watch the yahoos have at it......me and dad were actually kicked out of a public range......havent been to one since....had a rule of 5rds at a time...i was like 14...and couldnt load dads pistol mags very well yet...so hed load 15....after 4 hed drop the mag...fire the 5th one leaving it clear...id put the mag back in...release the slide...fire 4 drop it and fire my 5th....every 15 wed reload...or dad had another fresh mag waiting.....the rangemaster didnt like that......just because we found a way to shoot all day and never actually have to stop and reload...never really broke rules...and didnt harm anything......the rangemaster just wanted to make a stink of something.....and boy did he......he tried to make my dad look like an idiot......and make him look like a bad father......and made me NEVER want to go shooting anywhere again after that.....i was at the age when grownups talk they dont know if you know what they are talking about or not and theyjust talk.....well i caught it all.....guy was a jerk.....we in no way broke a rule or did anything unsafe or harmed anything.....id didnt say only 5 rounds can be loaded at one time.....just you cant fire over 5 rounds in succsession....and we werent......we were taking turns...passing an empty gun between us............good luck......we been members of gun clubs ever since.......and even there it can get wild....exspecially on public "sight in days"....pay a few bucks and you can shoot...member or not..........gets the club known...and makes a few bucks...but man...ifimgoing to pay 100+ a year i dont want 20yahoos all aroundme!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: trailer
I like going to the range except I go first thing in the morning when no one is around.
Bingo! Same here... I have gone to a public range inside one of the nearby Virginia WMA's a few times. Nice place, but man, you gotta get there at 8:00am sharp on a Sunday morning!I mean, I have seen it get so bad, and so ridiculously crowded, that you can't even get in the parking lot! And there isalong line waiting to get to the stations!

They also have a skeet range nearby and that is wide open, first come first serve. You bring your own clays and thrower. I "tried" to go one time and ended up turning around and going back home. A club ora big group of waterfowl hunters decided to "bogart" the entire range and tie it up for hours and hours! {Yo, guys, come on man... There's others waiting to bust a few clays too, you know....} [:@]

Old 10-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

I've been to 4 ranges so far and my experiences have all been good though I must admit, I'm waiting/expecting an experience like mauser06's...cause there are jerks everywhere; nothing I can do about that. I have met a couple of very nice/knowledgeable guys though.

Right now I'm very fortunate. I have access to a 300yd range that's been vacant almost every time I've been there and it only costs me $15/year!
Old 10-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The public shooting range I go to in WV (Beech Fork WMA) does not have a range master. It has 6 benches and is 100yds but no one there monitoring. I've gone maybe 50 times in the past year and a half. Only once have I seen behavior that I would consider inappropriate. Other than that everyone seems pretty courteous
Old 10-24-2005, 10:57 AM

I shoot at a Missouri Conservation Dept public range, $3 an hour beats any prices private ranges want to charge here. I don't mind the rules, they help keep things orderly. Have never run into any "problem" people, everyone is always friendly and pretty much mind their own business.

My only advice is get your practice in early in the year, as many have stated, close to hunting season things get very crowded. But by that time, I've practiced so much I don't worry about going. I'll use that time bow hunting.

Quick Reply: What are your range experiences like?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.