Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What are your range experiences like? >

What are your range experiences like?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What are your range experiences like?

Old 10-25-2005, 07:09 AM

Default RE: What are your range experiences like?

I go a few times a year. . .But always during off hours. I hate to even have a guy shooting the next lane over. It is not a social thing, I go in take care of business and leave. If you want to jaw with the know it alls go to the range office and get some coffee.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:28 PM

Default RE: What are your range experiences like?

I shoot at a public range - nice benches, some sheltered, a separate handgun range. Marked distances 50, 100, 200, 300, 400 yards and easy enough to place a target 1/2 way between. Probably about 20-25 rifle benches and 10-15 handgun benches.

No range master at all. Totally up to users to work the safety routine. 99 times out of 100 it is very easy and clear. People shoot and one by one they step away from their benches as they're done. People look up and when it seems like most people are done, the ones that are still shooting either finish up or stop. Up and down the line everyone looks to each side and raises an arm and YELLS "clear". Nobody starts walking down range untill all have indicated clear, and stepped away from their guns. Nobody touches their guns at all while people are down range, except to maybe pick it up to return it to the car. No fiddling with scopes, etc.

Same thing in reverse to begin shooting. It works out really well and I'd have to say there are "never" any rude or unsafe shooters.... 99 out of 100 times.

Yesterday I was shooting there alone. I was out putting up my target when a second guy showed up. OK, I was just getting ready to shoot, but I indicated to him to go ahead and put out his target. He put a target out at about 25 yds and returned to his bench and started setting up his gun.I was at one end of theline of benches, he at theother.It was a little odd to me because he didn't really acknowledge me at all, or smile,or indicate "ready" to me once he returned to his bench.But the range was clear, so I began shooting. I shot once and was looking through my spotting scope just to see if I was on the paper. As I was going back to my gun (right next to the scope) to shoot again, I noticed the IDIOT had just gone ahead and walked out to his target to check itafter his first shot! He continued to do this - just shooting and walking out to his target without even looking over to me or gesturing to me. So I just made sure I knew what he was doing at all times.A while later a couple of other guys showed up and now with more shooters the situation needs to bemore organization. The guy who set up next to him immediately saw how he was behaving and talked to him (yes I know I probably should have, but I could keep my eye on him). Evidently pissed the guy off (the careless guy) because he left immediately. He was kind of a bozo in general as far as I could tell - didn't seem to really know how to shoot and didn't wear any ear protection, not even the foam buds. Probably a good chance to educate someone.

So the moral of the story is that in my experience, 99% of the guys who shoot pretty much know common sense safety, but you gotta be diligent watching for the other ones.

I went to a real-life controlled range for the first time in at least 15 years last fall when I was visiting MN. I had NO idea what the routine would be, so when I walked up to the benches, I set my stuff down and walked over to the range master and just asked him exactly what I should do when, especially since I was trying to sight in two guns as efficiently as possible. Obviously, it's a simple straight forward routine, but I thought I'd seem less of an idiot by asking up front ratherthan bumbling or missing his directions. It worked out well and it was fun and he made sure to let me shoot both guns every "cycle" (which really didn't delay anyone else anyway).