Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 wsm

Old 07-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 270 wsm

hey guys im lookin for a new deer rifle. im thinking of gettin a tikka t3 stainless in 270 wsm. would this be a good choice. if not what other models are good. whats the wsm kick like, is it comparable to a regular 270. any comments about the cartridge and gun are wanted. Thanks
Your probably aware that the Tikka has a one size fits all action. For use of a 270WSM in that rifle Tikka had to engineer the magazine to accomodate a short cartridge. I have the same rifle in 308 and it took me about 5 years of being watching everyone else have fun with theirs before I purchased my first one. I think the 270 WSM is a wicked killing SOB of a cartridge but I think it belongs in a short action and would work best there. The 270 Win has the same killing power. If your sold on the Tikka like I am now just purchase the 270 WIN. The Ammo will be 1/2 the price and you'll shoot it more and your not talking a difference in velocitythat any Deer , Elk or Bear will ever notice.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were in the market for a 270 WSM (which I'm not), I believe I'd not get a Tikka. I've had and sold two, that's enough. Kimber may get a look from me for that. Otherwise I'll just stick to the old .270 Ruger #1.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

hey guys im lookin for a new deer rifle. im thinking of gettin a tikka t3 stainless in 270 wsm. would this be a good choice. if not what other models are good. whats the wsm kick like, is it comparable to a regular 270. any comments about the cartridge and gun are wanted. Thanks
Your probably aware that the Tikka has a one size fits all action. For use of a 270WSM in that rifle Tikka had to engineer the magazine to accomodate a short cartridge. I have the same rifle in 308 and it took me about 5 years of being watching everyone else have fun with theirs before I purchased my first one. I think the 270 WSM is a wicked killing SOB of a cartridge but I think it belongs in a short action and would work best there. The 270 Win has the same killing power. If your sold on the Tikka like I am now just purchase the 270 WIN. The Ammo will be 1/2 the price and you'll shoot it more and your not talking a difference in velocitythat any Deer , Elk or Bear will ever notice.
but then he wouldn't have a "magnum" rifle and we all know you can't kill deer without a "magnum"
Old 07-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

weatherby vanguard chambers the .270wsm in a few nice setups.

personally I don't like the looks of tikkas, how about a sako 85?

as far as kick? I wouldn't worry.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

but then he wouldn't have a "magnum" rifle and we all know you can't kill deer without a "magnum"

Old 07-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe I'd not get a Tikka. I've had and sold two, that's
What did you not like about them?
Old 07-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

oldelk, I didn't mean to sound so down on the Tikkas. They're o.k rifles. The first one I had was a T-3 Lite in 25-06. I loved the trigger, light weight, and it shot lights out. I did not like the safety, the cheap junk rings / screws provided or the cheap feeling (and sounding) stock. I had no issues with the plastic mag what-so-ever. My second Tikka was a laminated stainless version in 270 WSM. The stock was quite nice, but I still detested those cheap, soft rings and screws they provided. I knew the safety wasn't my cup of tea, but I could live with it if necessary. It would not shoot very well (for me or two friends) and the action / barrel area really heated up fast. I basically had to do 3 shot groups waiting about 30 minutes cool time in-between. The bolt would also lock up regularly. I took it back to the shop, and they couldn't get much out of it either. They offered to send it back, but I said screw it and went in another direction. I ended up trading it in on a Kimber 84M. Anyway, that's it in a nutshell.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot this new one with the Factory supplied rings once. It now wears Talleys. When I lived in Florida and the gun range was 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the house it used to take me 2 hours to get my guns sighted in . I would have to shoot real slow 3 shot groups and wait what seemed an hour for the barrel to cool down. If you get the right Kimber 84m that's nothing to sneeze at . I entered a raffle at our gun club I expect to get a new Kimber 84m in 7-08 this september
Old 07-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well OEH my birthday is in August but I wont mind if my gift is a month late
Old 07-07-2008, 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I shot this new one with the Factory supplied rings once. It now wears Talleys
. When I lived in Florida and the gun range was 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the house it used to take me 2 hours to get my guns sighted in . I would have to shoot real slow 3 shot groups and wait what seemed an hour for the barrel to cool down. If you get the right Kimber 84m that's nothing to sneeze at . I entered a raffle at our gun club I expect to get a new Kimber 84m in 7-08 this september

I'll have to 2nd that... Couldn't get my T-3 to group worth crap. Brought it in to my 'smith and happened to notice myself that it was sliding in the rings. Only the rear ring has anything to keep it from sliding on the action under recoil and it's about an 1/8" pin that sticks down into the top of the action. I wound up going with Leupold rings and bases and never looked back. BTW my T-3 is in 338 Federal and kicks very close to the Savage 110 30-06

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.