Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is this Walmart gun any good fellows?? >

Is this Walmart gun any good fellows??

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is this Walmart gun any good fellows??

Old 10-19-2005, 07:47 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Is this Walmart gun any good fellows??

Portage, you need to start learning to shop the internet and find a FFL guy that won't charge you an arm and a leg.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:55 AM

I think I can shop the net pretty well.

Two (out of the two)local shops will not transfer internet sales if they can also purchase said firearm. For example, they would not do a 7600 in 30-06 but would in 35 Rem. I haven't figured that one out at all. And no, I don't spend anywhere near the $$ I used to at either shop.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:53 AM

If what bass pro told you is true then they are selling the same "second hand" guns since they are a large chain store that buys in volume. Sort of cutting thier own throat on that one. This is usually something you hear from small guns shop trying to defend thier higher prices.

I used to own a pump remington in 30-06. It was the carbine model. Pretty gun and shot well. However is was the hardest recoiling rifle I have every shot in my life. I had a savage 110e in the same caliber that handled recoil much better.

Paul
Old 10-19-2005, 07:07 PM

they aren't as accurate as the semi auto remington rifles and they are in the same price range.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I traded for a 7600 in 30/06 years ago just for kicks and grins. I shot it for a couple of years on targets and coyotes. No, it was not as accurate as my bolt actions, but it was fun to shoot, and it would put 3 shots in a 3" dot at 100 yds. I kept my shots on 'yotes inside of 200 yds. and it did just fine. I ended up trading it on a 700 BDL. If you want to try something a little out of the "norm" I would say go for it. If you are looking for tack driving accuracy, I would suggest a bolt action.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:28 PM

First off Walmart is a retailer, not a manufacturer. Now considering that they are the lagest retailer in the world, would you risk your companys name, ie. Remington and others,by using inferior materials. Walmart sells stuff cheaper because of high volume sales. The morea retailer buys from a manufacturer in terms of volume, the better deal they can get, and in retail those savings can be passed on to customers.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: IL Hunter

they aren't as accurate as the semi auto remington rifles and they are in the same price range.
Assuming you are stating that the Remington pump-action rifles are NOT as accurate as the semi-auto versions using the same barrels, receivers, fire-control groups, stocks, etc., I've found it to be just the opposite! Usually the pumps will shoot better than the semi-autos, and have nowhere near thenumber of stoppages due to failure to extract, eject, or feed a new round that plague the 740-7400 series....
Old 10-22-2005, 10:29 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: IL Hunter

Your little secret. Maybe you could tell us all why that is?

Old 10-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Chuck!

I purchased a used 7600 from a local gun shop in the .260 Remington caliber about 5 years ago and gave 525 tax and all. It was used but in very good shape and in a somewhat lesser known caliber. I chose the 7600 because about 85 - 90 % of the time I carry a remington 870 wingmaster while I'm hunting. I'm an avid rabbit hunter and that's just what I'm comfortable using. I find the 7600 handles much the same and to be honest and can cycle it for a very quick second shot. As far as accuracy goes,I find it to be more than adequate and have taken 6 deer with it and have never missed on whitetail. I also harvested 2 antelope with it in Wyoming back in '03. The quick follow up was especially useful on the buck I took. I caught him with a small group of does and after a sucessful stalk I had managed to get into shooting range. I have trouble guessing yardage and when I got settled, I noticed he had stood up( didn't think I had time to range him)and I thought he was close to 300 yards, so I aimed about 2.5" above his back and shot clean over him! The quick follow up shot allowed me to bust him at a dead run at 238 yards...yeah I way over guessed...he was just a shade over 200 at the first shot. Anyway, the next day I took a doe antelope at 257 yards and it whacked it her too. If you're like me and carry a shotgun most of the year, you'll like the 7600.

Good luck!

Gh