HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   ALL THESE DIFFERENT 7mm? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/117-all-these-different-7mm.html)

swampman51 01-01-2002 10:48 PM

ALL THESE DIFFERENT 7mm?

guys now im laying my foot down Y do they insist on making like 80 different versions of the 7mm can anyone tell me all of them and which one is the best?

riflenut 01-01-2002 11:30 PM

RE: ALL THESE DIFFERENT 7mm?

Same reason "they" make about 30 versions of a 30 caliber and probably 10-15 of a 224 caliber.As far as a "7mm", the most popular one and the one most guys are referring to when they say "7mm" is the 7mm Remington Magnum.I always refer to it by it's full name so everyone will know which cartridge I am referring to.The .284" bullet is carried by a whole slew of cartridges.Starting at the lower end of the power scale we have the old 7x33 Sako,7mm International,7mm IHMSA,7mm BR Remington,7mm-08,7x57 Mauser,284 Winchester,7x64 Brenneke,280 Remington,7x61 Sharpe & Hart,7mm Remington Magnum,7mm Weatherby Magnum,7mm Dakota,7.21 Lazzaroni,7mm STW,7mm Remington Ultra Mag,7mm Remington Short Ultra Mag,7mm Winchester Short Magnum and probably a few I can't remember right now excluding Wildcats(another story). These are all different cartridges that use a .284 inch bullet, so all are "7mm's" Many people new to the shooting and reloading hobbies confuse the "caliber" or "bullet diameter" with the cartridge name. They are two different things.When referring to a "7mm" you must use the name of the cartridge,ie: 7mm Remington Mag or 7x57 Mauser etc.As for which one is the "best",well that depends on what you want to do with the rifle and what your requirments are for the cartridge."best is relative and has different meanings for different people.The 7mm Shooting Times Westerner(STW) may be "best" for dropping whitetails at 400 yards but it wouldn't be "best" for a target rifle, something like the 7mm-08 might be "best" for this in someone's mind.When people tell me thay use a "7mm" always ask "which one" and most can't tell me.A co-worker of a friend stuffed a 7mm Express(280 Remington) into his 7mm Rem Mag this season and proceeded to blow the floorplate out of his rifle with a ruptured case. He was lucky. YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHICH 7MM YOU ARE DEALING WITH!

Edited by - riflenut on 01/02/2002 00:33:09

swampman51 01-01-2002 11:55 PM

soooo what 7mm do u tihnk i should get if i am making shots form 50 yeards too 150 yards???

Hk45USP 01-02-2002 01:12 AM

Riflenut.....that was poetry. Very well said. I couldn't have said it better.

A few that riflenut forgot and i'll just add these to confuse you even more....
7-30 waters and the 7x65R....

Also, remember when buying ammo that there are 3 different types of "Remington 7mm's" out there. They are:
"7mm-08"

"280 Remington" (also know as the "7mm Express Remington") Same exact bullet, with two names.

"7mm Remington Magnum"

All 3 being very different bullets that ARE NOT interchangable!!!!!

Now, with that said, the "7mm Remington Magnum" is probably the most powerful and popular of all the 7mm's. With the exception of power, yielding to the "7mm Weatherby Magnum".

So, to answer your question. Go with the "7mm Remington Magnum". Read and make sure your gun has those markings on it to be absolutely sure you're getting the gun you want. It may be abbreviated with "7mm Rem" on it.

Hope that helps you out. Very fine rifle.

riflenut 01-02-2002 07:31 AM

50-150 yards? Assuming deer and maybe hogs and smaller black bear, I'd get a 7mm-08 Remington(in a Win M70 Compact, but that's another story)and never look back. Next choice would be a 280 Remington.......unless of course a real nice 7x57 Mauser showed up. Ruger and Remington chambered these within the last couple decades.These three would pretty much be indistinquishable with bullet weights commonly used for deer.No need for magnums for 150 yard shots.

Stone Cold 01-02-2002 10:08 AM

Hey Guys, since we are on the 7mm I have a few questions myself.

I have been shooting my 7mm Rem. Mag for the past 7 years and absolutely love it. Knock down Power!!!!

My question is........I shoot a semiauto for running dogs and have mostly hunted thick cover etc. I have killed deer at 300 yrds with this gun. I am looking for a rifle that has that take down power at 500 yrds. (I have this shot at my lease in Texas) I have been told to stay with the 7mm Rem Mag and shoot the heavy mags by Hornady and go with an A-bolt.

What is your opinion on the this load for this distance and what alternatives do you have in mind.

Deleted User 01-02-2002 10:41 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

craig 01-02-2002 10:42 AM

If you want a 500 yard gun that is going to require a bolt or single shot to give the accuracy needed at such extreme range. As long as you're changing guns go to a 7 Ultra mag or if you can afford the shells a 7.21 Firebird by Lazzeri. Both these two will give you a good deal more than the Rem. 7MM mag.

I shoot a Rem. 7MM mag. myself and really like it. But at 500 yards or beyond the Rem. mag. doesn't offer real strong knock down power. I've shot one deer way out there like that and you'd better be up for a tracking job. Just doesn't have the shocking ower to put them down like it does under 400 yards.

bigcountry 01-02-2002 11:26 AM

From 50-150 yards, it really wouldn't matter much would it as far as the 7mm line goes? As long as I feel comfortable with the guns accuracy, I wouldn't care to take any out.

swampman51 01-02-2002 11:49 AM

well theres one prob i might get this rifle custom made but i cant find a .280 remingotn bolt action at a reasonadble range.i can get a remington action in the 7mm rem.