HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   I grouped the 270 Fusions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/116902-i-grouped-270-fusions.html)

James B 10-15-2005 06:58 PM

I grouped the 270 Fusions

Tool the new 270 ADL to the range today. For this year I am using factory loads. I am shooting the 130 grain Federal Fusion loads. The wind finally co-operated somewhat today. I shot three three shot groups which is how I test hunting rifles. No need to fire five shot groups in a pure hunting rifle as ne hardly ever shoots more than three times at an animal in the field. I am not a very good group shooter but this is a winning combo. The largest group was one inch The smallest group was 3/8 of an inch. The third had two holes touching but the third which I knew I pulled a bit was 3/4 inch. For me and paper targets, that is as good as it gets. I am pretty happy with the out of the box performance of the ADL Synthetic 700. I adjusted the trigger down to about half of what it came in at. I have my VX-l scope on it with the flip-up Butler Creek scope covers. These loads clocked at an average 2873.

I have my 7MM-08 ready for season as well. I am shooting WW Ballistic silvertips in it for this year.

stubblejumper 10-15-2005 07:40 PM

RE: I grouped the 270 Fusions

It sounds like your rifle hasthe potential to be very accurate.Those loads do seem fairly mild though.

James B 10-15-2005 07:59 PM

Yeah the Label on the box claims 3050. It does not say in their info on the box what length barrel they used to test the loads. After season I may get a set of dies and see what handloads would do. These factory loads should still be doing about 2200 at 300 yards with about 1500 lb ME @ 300. I seldom shoot past 200 yards where I hunt. On my land you can't see more that 300 yards because of the rugged river breaks. I might load some 140 grain Ballistic tips before next season. For moose I think I will try the Nosler 160 grain Partition Semi-Spitzer.

Doe Dumper 10-15-2005 10:21 PM

James thats the kind of accuracy I have always got out of my 270 adl syn. Not bad for another junk Remington with the romper room stock :DMy gun loved the Fed Classic 130's from day 1. My 7-08 groups just as good as the 270 using the core lokts...I really dunno what more anybody could ask for unless they have a bad case of team green envy. Less than 1 inch groups out of abargain pricedgun with factory ammo? Hell it dont get any better than that. Its gonna be a tough call tryin to figure out which goes with me the first day :D

James B 10-16-2005 01:45 AM

Me too. Buy Monday night I should have the 25-06 and 308 checked out for the up comming season. That just leaves the 6.5x55 to get ready. OH and the 45-70. My wife didn't buy a permit this year so I don't have to load any shells or check the sight-in on her 250 Savage.:DI either have to load for the 7mm-08 or order ammo as its hard to find 7mm-08 ammo up here. Seems like hunters here either shoot a 243 or 300 WSM. Whare I hunt in SD., The 270 is very popular as the shots are longer on the praire deer. Up here, its whitetail in the shelterbelts and corn and sunflower fields. one quick shot and thier gone. There are a fair amount of 7MM Rem Mags in both areas. The 7MM-08 is under used and a great performer which gives up nothing to any caliber for deer hunting.

:DDarn Remingtons.

stubblejumper 10-16-2005 09:24 AM

After seeinghow the barnes tsx performed on game,I would try the 130gr tsx for larger game.Since the tsx retains 90% of it's weight compared to 60% to 70% for the partition,the 130gr version will do fine.It will also shoot flatter than the heavier bullets.

James B 10-16-2005 11:41 AM

Stubble. Thanks for the info. I have heard that the TSX does not foul the barrels as much as the standard Barnes bullets. Have you found this to be true? I used to use a lot of Barnes bullets but got tired of trying to clean the copper fouling out of my barrels.

m.t.hands 10-16-2005 04:46 PM

Yeah the Label on the box claims 3050. It does not say in their info on the box what length barrel they used to test the loads.
28"[:-]j/k, sounds like you got yourself a great shooter, man remington needs to let up a little on there triggers, i guess thats why they make them so easy to FIX[:@], hey stubble i may have to load up some of the tsx's i have always found my way back to partitions, but in all fairness i haven't tried any barnes bullets.......

stubblejumper 10-16-2005 05:02 PM

James.In my rifles, fouling is virtually non existant with the tsx.I am also able to attain slightly morevelocity with less powder than with other bullets.

The link below shows the remains of a 180gr tsx that penetrated the spine of an elk.

http://www.powerandfury.com/images/tsx1.jpg

http://www.powerandfury.com/images/tsx2.jpg

The remaining weight was 160.4gr.The bullet was fired from a 300ultramag at 3380fps and the range was 200 yards.

James B 10-16-2005 05:36 PM

Thank you sir. I may give those a try. I have a Moose hunt comming up next Fall. It will be in Northern Sask.