Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Benelli Nova 20 gauge rifled barrel? >

Benelli Nova 20 gauge rifled barrel?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Benelli Nova 20 gauge rifled barrel?

Old 10-16-2005, 08:48 AM

Default RE: Benelli Nova 20 gauge rifled barrel?

Well, if a 10 gauge barrel fitted on it that might not be all bad, other than the price of shells. I've heard different things from different shooters. Some say the 10 gauge kicks horribly but others say they are about the same as a 3 1/2" 12 gauge. A 10 gauge would be good for waterfowl and turkey, but then again 12 gauge works just fine.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:30 AM

I'm sure with the right load it would kick pretty good. But if it was in the Utra frame with the extra weight it wouldn't be too bad. They come with a pretty good recoil pad on them as well.

I would have to compare the loads for a 10 gauge to see how different they really are. I have never shot one. Recoil has a lot to do with the shot weight and gun design. I have shot 20's that kicked harder than my 12 gauge with field loads. And my turkey loads kick much harder than any slugs I have shot. With my gun slugs are not that bad really. And I only weight 130 lbs. My buddy said the gun jumps 2 feet out of the rest though. He chuckles everytime I take a shot.

I have considered getting a 10 gauge barrel as well for mine to use on turkey. I traded my mossberg 500 and some .22's to get the slug gun. Now all I have is a remington inline ML, a 17HMR and the H&R slug gun. I know waterfowl people like the 10 guage. I think they extend the range some? Don't know much about duck and goose hunting. I think you would get shafted on the price of shells though.

Honestly if it were me and I had it to do over again and had the money I would have gotten a center fire H&R handi rifle in .243 or something, then get different shotgun barrels for it. That way I would have one frame that would do everything I wanted. I would just have to get the barrels fitted to it. .243, 12 guage turkey/small game barrel and a 20 heavy slug barrel would cover everything I want to do with a fire arm pretty much. Even a .223 or 22-250 would serve me pretty well.

Paul
Old 10-16-2005, 02:08 PM

They don't make 10 gauge shells loaded heavier and they don't go faster so I'm assuming 3 1/2" turkey loads should kick about the same. Bigger bore diameter for the same amount of pellets means less deformation and better ballistics so it should improve range, but I'm not sure by how much. I'm goin' to basspro to take a look at the gun today, I need something fast for deer season. I'm supposedly gonna get a R1 next year, so I'm gonna hold off on gettin' the Handi Rifle. The shells aren't too much more expensive, and for most stuff except turkey and maybe waterfowl I'll just use my 20 gauge. How does your H&R slug gun shoot? I'm of small build too, (probably cause I'm not an adult...) how would you compare the kick to turkey loads? (12 gauge)
Old 10-16-2005, 07:26 PM

With the weight of the Ultra's I think the recoil is much better. It's about on par with my Inline ML with 100 grns of powder and 350 grn bullets.

Nothing like my 3 inch turkey loads. And no where near 3 1/2 inch turkey loads. Depends on what shells you use as well.

I don't seem to have much of a problem with recoil though, even being little. I know I can shoot mine of the bench for more than 10 rounds and not be sore. But I don't bruise very easy. Recoil is a very subjective thing. Some can't take it, others don't seem to mind that it much. I try to stay very relaxed when I shoot though. I don't fight the rifle, I just let it push me back and roll with it. I do know you won't even know it in the field. I don't notice 3 1/2 inch turkey loads in the field, but I hate them for target shooting. That's just too much gun for me.

I have shot light 20 gauges with high brass field loads that kicked harder than my ultra does with 600 grn slugs. When you pick one up you will know why. Mine Weighs over 10 lbs with the scope.

As far accuracy goes, I have not shot anything that was really impressive out of mine yet. But there are a few more I need to try. It seems to be sort of picky. However I am looking for 1-1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Most everything I have shot is plenty good enough for hunting, like 4-5 inch groups or better at 100 yards. Almost everything shot pretty well at 50 and 75 yards though. And mine seems to like rifled slugs to be honest. Just fouls the barrel out something awful after 3 or 4 shots.

Paul
Old 10-17-2005, 06:54 AM

Well, my dad said I was old enough to make a decision for myself. We went and looked at the gun and we have the order forms for it. He said I can either pay half for the Ultra or since he knows I want an expensive rifle, I can not get the shotgun, go hunting with my grandpas this year and he'll put that money he would've spent on the shotgun on the rifle. I want an R1 Comfortech so I figure I need to save as much money as possible. If I don't get the shotgun I'll have $200 more towardstheR1. Was this a smart decision? Youth Season is only2 weeks away so I don't reallyhave much time to decide.