HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Muzzlebrakes? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/116693-muzzlebrakes.html)

tykempster 10-13-2005 06:21 PM

Muzzlebrakes?

Do they help as much as manufacturers claim and are they worth the added noise? I have saw advertisements for some that say they angle the blast away fromt he shooter so the recoil reduction is still there but most of the added noise isn't. Are there any certain models anyone can recommend? I don't need one, but they aren't that expensive and it could be helpful at the range with a removable one.

stubblejumper 10-13-2005 07:53 PM

RE: Muzzlebrakes?

In order for the brake to have the maximum effect it must direct the gases rearward which dramatically increaes the noise to the shooter.I have owned two rifles with brakes and will not own another due to the extreme noise.I found that my groups were the same size with or without the brake installed,so the brake did not improve my accuracy.

frizzellr 10-13-2005 07:57 PM

I don't know of anything much worse than being at the range beside someone firing a rifle with a muzzlebrake.

tykempster 10-13-2005 08:21 PM

So basically it's a no-go?

jmfa1957 10-13-2005 08:49 PM

What caliber are you shooting that you need a muzzle brake? Would a PAST recoil shield suffice? You can check them out on Midway's website. I use their thinnest model for shotgunning and 30 caliber range sessions and it makes a huge difference. They make thicker versions for magnum rifles also. If you are just shooting at the range, a Lead Sled would be another alternative.

I would really think hard about a brake. The noise to you and to bystanders is enough to cause permanent hearing loss even through earplugs or some muffs.[:@] If you are shooting big calibers, be advised that many localities in Africa and North America prohibit muzzle brakjes because of the hazard to guides' hearing. You want to be able to hear a wounded Cape Buffalo coming up behind you in the bush...[:-]

jcchartboy 10-13-2005 09:11 PM

Doshooters thatuse muzzlebreaks at a public range have any respect for fellow hunters...I wonder?

Ifthey want to destroytheir own hearing that is fine with me....but don't subject me to it....

TYK....BAD IDEA...imho

RedAllison 10-13-2005 09:32 PM

I'll step in front of this train! :DI haven't had one complaint with my KDF muzzlebrake on my Sako TRG-S/Lazzeroni Warbird. When at a range I simply "warn" everyone and they seem pleased I gave them a heads up and they ALWAYS gather around to watch this thing they have heard so much about. The one thing I can't understand by the negative folks is why are they so bad on the range in the first place? EVERYONE already has hearing protection on, if they don't then they have already ruined their hearing over a lifetime of stupidity than anything I can do with a single rifle and a couple of shots!!!

The brakes are great for "watching the shot" as a properly built brake will actually allow you to keep trained on the target and watch for the bullet strike. You can't even do that with an unbraked 30/06 in reality, so how is that a negative? I have tested mine and the zero is absolutely unchanged with the brake or without it. If I am going to have to shoot it around someone without protection I just unscrew the brake and "take my punishment like a man" lol. I haven't lost game with this beast but if I had to wade into the brush after something I would simply unscrew the brake in put it in my pocket.

My brother and I hunted in WY lastyear for mulies and lopes. When I was shooting they simply stayed behind me about 10-15 yds and didn't complain about the noise. My brother had a camcorder and the guide was watching through his binoculars. The guide thought the gun was awesome and his only request before hearing it fired was, "please warn me before you torch that mother off". After he saw it fired while standing 10yds or so behind me he wasn't the least concerned afterwards.

For any supermag I would recommend them. For extremely light (under6#s)regular mags (including the WSMs) I would also recommend them. But again I would only recommend the easily removable versions or in the case of the BOSS rifles just be sure you packed the CR module. A brake also plays hell on a scope, be sure you have a top quality scope (VX2 or +, Conquest, Monarch or better) a big blasting magnum brake will SHELL a Tasco or Bushnell doubletime.

Another thing I really like about the brake is it eliminates muzzle jump/climb. That's something to consider if you hunt from shooting houses or rigid blinds much. I do and without it my scope would be beat to death on the top of the window sill each time I fired it. I hunt with Game Ear 2s in anyway. I carry a spare pair of shooting muffs for anyone (including my kids) if they are going to be in the stand with me.

They are well worth it in my opinion, but then again that's only for big kickers. My 7mags don't have them and I don't feel they need them. I recently got a 300Wby Mag as well and if it weren't an heirloom and I was going to use it much I would have a brake put on it as well.

Good luck,
RA

ps
I DESPISE Magnaported or anyother ported barrels for just the reasons I gave you. You can't unscrew them or otherwise "shut them up" you are stuck with them.

Roskoe 10-13-2005 09:34 PM

ALthough I fabricate and install muzzle brakes, I always try to talk the customer out of it. For about the same money, you can get one of those Caldwell Lead Sleds - sight the gun in without pain - andI never feel the recoil when hunting anyway. The noise and muzzle blast of a centerfire big game rifle is very hard on one's hearing anyway, and all muzzle brakes make this worse. Consider using a lighter caliber, or get the Lead Sled.

If you must have one, the best is a Vias. Get a thread protector to use when hunting without ear protection. Roskoe.

bigbulls 10-13-2005 09:36 PM

People pay me to install them and I try as best I can to talk them out of one.

There are too many other good alternatives to a muzzle brake that help tame the felt recoil with out making yourself deaf in the process.

I was once four benches down from a guy firing a 30-378 out of a MK-V with a brake on it and even with hearing protection it would make me jump a little bit. The muzzle blast is almost unimaginable with some cartridges. What's really funny is he bought the gun specifically for the purpose of a black bear hunt. I asked him how long of a shot he would have and his reply was he was hunting over bait so he expected 75 yards or less. A 30-30 would have been just as effective at that distance.

Basically, if it kicks hard enough that you need a brake to shoot it then sell it and buy something that kicks less.

RedAllison 10-13-2005 09:43 PM

Bbbbbut Bigbulls what if you already had a safe full of "less kickers" and simply wanted something with a lil more umph???

RA

ps
I guess I kinda "did" take your recommendation, I don't always use the Warbird so I gotta "lil bit less gun"... the 300Wby!!!