Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Striping glossy finish off stocks >

Striping glossy finish off stocks

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Striping glossy finish off stocks

Old 10-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Striping glossy finish off stocks

I'm a lefty and am having a nightmare of a time finding a decent rifle

Anyhow I've narrowed it down to a LH Browning A-BoltThe only prob is I want a 300WSM and I'm limited to the A-bolt hunter(wood stock satin barrell) and the gun I've found has the satin barrell but the stock has a glossy finish. I was under the impression that this gun had a dull finish on the stock... How hard would it be to strip off this finish with out making the gun look like a pieace of crap
Old 10-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Striping glossy finish off stocks

I've had excellent results by stripping the finish by applying EZ Stripper (a gel substance that basically melts the finish) and scraping it away with a bondo spreading spatula. Then soap and water cleaning and letting completely and thoroughly dry for about a week in warm area (not hot). Then rub it down (alot) with really fine steel wool and clean off of any dust with cheesecloth.

My finish of choice is then boiled linseed oil. To apply just rub a coat on and allow a few minutes for it to penetrate, then wiping any excess off with a clean rag. If you want it darker - repeat. If even darker results desired/ Repeat again.

I sense you do not want the gloss finish because you'll be hunting with this rifle and don't want glare off the glossy stock, right? The real sweet thing about finishing with linseed oil is that if a branch or something puts a scratch of the stock, it can be quickly and easily touched up with a rag and a little more linseed oil.

Hope it works for you and I think your project would be a really good one to take pics of (before, during & after) and post here as I think alot of members would find them very informative.

Another trick to finishing wood stocks with dents in them. To get the dent out, fold an old washcloth about twice and soak it in water. Set the washcloth on the dent for about 15 minutes to allow some water to soak in the wood a bit. I use a welding torch to heat a 2" X 2" piece of 1-1/2" thick steel to red hot. I then make sure the washcloth is completey soaked and set the steel on the washcloth. The water will become steam inside the wood and cause the crushed cells to inflate, taking the dent out. Let it dry and sand smooth.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only way I know how to do it would be to strip the entire finish off and re-stain/oil it. You can use Easy Off oven cleaner. Spray it on good and thick, let it sit a few minutes and rinse with water. Repeat a couple of times until you get enough of it off. Then use mild soap and soft brush with warm water. Rinse well. Pat it dry and hang to dry thouroughly. Once completely dry, sand with fine grit sand paper. I've gotten some of mine to look like they've never been finished. Then you can stain it, or rub with linseed oil to get the look you want. It's not hard. There are more detailed instructions out there on the web. I've never had it go bad on me. Just don't get the Easy Off on your skin. Very much bad.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The new A-Bolt Hunters have a Satin finished stock. You don't have to do anything to it. The picture on their website needs updated. Click on the "Item Number" for 300 WSM and read it....calls out a satin stock.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=001B&cat_id=035&type_id=0 27

A-Bolt Hunter, Left-Hand
[align=center][/align][align=left]Item Number
[/align][align=left]Caliber / Gauge[/align][align=left]300 WSM
[/align][align=left]Magazine Capacity[/align]3

[align=left]Barrel Length[/align]23"

[align=left]Nominal Overall Length
42 3/4"
[/align][align=left]Nominal Length of Pull
13 5/8"
[/align][align=left]Nominal Drop at Comb[/align]5/8"

[align=left]Nominal Drop at Heel
1/2"
[/align][align=left]Nominal Weight[/align][align=left]6 lbs. 9 oz.
[/align][align=left]Rate of Twist One Turn in[/align][align=left]10
[/align][align=left]Metal Finish
Low-Luster Blueing
[/align][align=left]Stock Finish
Satin Finish
[/align][align=left]U.S. Suggested Retail
$764 [/align]
Old 10-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a pic of my 300 WSM that I bought in July.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know the Web sight says Satin stock. But when you get one out of the box at the storethe stock is gloss.... The Micro hunter has the dull stock but not the gun I want. To small
Old 10-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I did some calling around and was told that the left handed models don't come with the satin finish only the right handed... Looks like I might have to order the one with the gloss and just strip it[:'(]
Old 10-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default steel wool

Try rubbing the stock with some 0000 steel wooln first. It should take the shine off without scratching your stock or otherwise making a hideous mistake with your stock.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:29 AM

Default RE: steel wool

That was going to be my suggestion too - using steel wool or grit to change the glossy finish to satin.The trick is to do it nice and even so it looks nice.

I have a bunch of refinishing books at home and I'd look in therefor grit # suggestions, but ideas that come to mind off hand from past projects and stuff I have laying around are: rubbing compound (the heavier grits), 500 or finer paper, or other liquid or powder grits that are preliminary steps when you're trying to rub out a lacquer or enamel into a gloss finish. I have enough of this kind of stuff on hand that I'd try it and I'm sure that I'd come up with something that I could make a nice smooth, but duller finish. Almost any technique that would be used to polish (or in the reverse- to dull) a painted metal finish, would be the same for a lacquered or enameled wood finish. Your library willl have dozens of books on car and/or furniture finishing. There are many shops that specialize in car and furniture finishing or detailing.

Worst case if I did the job, is it would be unsatisfactory and I'd end up stripping it and using something nonglossy. I would think stripping a gun stock would be fairly easy since you can completely remove it from thegun. I can think of several penetrating, but non-glossy finishes that would probably be satisfactory depending on personal taste.

Back to grit: The steps you always go through in any polishing project whether a car or woodworking involve intermediate steps which leave a satin finish, progressively shining up to gloss.So all you have to do is work backwards, picking the stage of dullness you want to end up at. And yes very fine steel wool is a possibility as suggested. But rubbing compound and super, (super, super) fine sandpaper are other possibilities. Call or stop in any place that sells products for refinishing furniture or autos - they would knowand would probably be happy to give you some quick advice. or sell you what you need.

Sounds like fun to me! If my gun stock wasn't already a non-glossy finish, I might do it myself. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: steel wool

Well I called my local dealer and he called Browning. They told him that all the rifles he had were 2004 model and that the 2005 models would have the satin finish. He ordered me the 2005 model and I should be good to go

Thanks for all the suggestion!!!

Quick Reply: Striping glossy finish off stocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.