HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Why are there such laws?! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/116223-why-there-such-laws.html)

Jimini Thicket 10-10-2005 02:32 PM

Why are there such laws?!

So I was at the store today, and I was looking at rifles and whatnot. I pretty much found everything I wanted to buy, for quite a good price. Remington model 700 synthetic .30-06, with Leupold 4-12X40mm Scope, for a grand total of around six hundred dollars. So I start filling out the paperwork, only to find out that since I'm not a legal resident of South Carolina (the state I'm in right now), andsince I'm in the military, that I need a whole lot of extra paperwork, including a copy of PCS orders (which I don't have, since this isn't my permanent duty station). Since I don't have PCS orders, Ican't buy a firearm here. But if I weren't in the military, and I were just some tourist from NY, I'd be able to.

That angered me quite a lot.

VT_Hunter1980 10-10-2005 02:41 PM

RE: Why are there such laws?!

By any chance was this a Wal-Mart?

Jimini Thicket 10-10-2005 02:43 PM

Yes, but I'd gone to two other stores prior to that and they both needed the PCS orders as well.

Wal-Mart had the best prices for the same setup by far, though.

VT_Hunter1980 10-10-2005 02:54 PM

I find Wal-Mart store policy to be a real hassle. Definately not worth the $50 or so bucks you'll save over a local gun shop. Plus, who wants to buy a gun from someone who doesn't know which end the bullet comes out of?

I bought a rifle at walmart last Feb, and I had to run back home to get a copy of the cable bill, because the address on my liscence was no longer my residence. I'm just out of college and I move a lot, so it doesn't make any sense to get a new liscence every few months. For some reason, they would accept a cable bill as proof of ID, but not my vehicle registration.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that being in the military makes it harder to buy a gun, I would have thought it would be the other way around.

renfrowridge 10-10-2005 04:09 PM

I learn the hard way wal-mart sells long guns to the state it is in and any state the touchs that state you must have a address in that state. But a sporting good store should sell it to you I have purchased guns in 14 diff. states and you need isa driver # and I had my gun within 30 min they do a call in and that is it.

thndrchiken 10-10-2005 04:13 PM

When I was stationed in Charlietown, the only thing they needed was a signature from a commissioned officer stating that I was not awaiting NJP, and that was for a handgun. Can't understand why they would need a copy of your pcs orders. If your legal to buy a rifle in your state of residence you should be there as well. Are you in Charleston? If so check the pawn shops, there used to be on on Cross County Rd about a half mile in from Dorchester and another on Rivers just before you hit Goose Creek, big red barn looking building. Never had any of these snafu's dealing with them.

bigcountry 10-10-2005 04:31 PM

Cause each state has thier own set of rules concerning gun purchases. Like if you are Jersian or Yorker, you have to have this silly little card for gun ownership. I imagine its hard for the different states, especially a laxed state like SC to know all the different rules.

Jimini Thicket 10-10-2005 08:16 PM

I am stationed in Goose Creek, but I'm a little apprehensive about buying a rifle from a pawn shop for some reason.

Like if you are Jersian or Yorker, you have to have this silly little card for gun ownership.Like if you are Jersian or Yorker, you have to have this silly little card for gun ownership.
I'm from NY, and own and have purchased guns, and don't know what kind of "silly little card" you're talking about.

thndrchiken 10-10-2005 09:22 PM

He's referring the the FID card that us residents of the Peoples Republic of New Jersey have to posess to be able to purchase firearms. I wouldn't worry about buying from a pawn shop, just take your time and thouroughly look the gun over. Great deals to be had at the shops, like I said be patient and don't settle for just anything. The pawn shop guys most certainly know more about the guns and hunting than the people at Walmart.

jmfa1957 10-10-2005 10:08 PM

These laws exist to control you, not to protect you. They serve to discourage you from purchasing firearms, and more importantly, to add as much cost as possible to gun dealers, hopefully enough to drive them out of business. I am all for criminal background checks, but most of the gun laws enacted by the more liberal states do not target criminals, they only inconvenience honest gun owners and honest gun dealers.

Rant over...[&o]