Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 fmj ammo.???? >

fmj ammo.????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

fmj ammo.????

Old 10-08-2005, 05:21 AM

Default fmj ammo.????

fmj ammo. surplus .cheap .is it any good,what uses or there?I dont think you can hunt with it.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:40 AM

Default RE: fmj ammo.????

i use federal fmj's in a 308 and i also use winchester fmj's in one of my target .223s. these are both target rounds and are very accurate. it's just like any other load you just have to find a gun that likes them. i also have a mini -14 that shoots the wolf brand pretty good out a couple hundred yards. the federals and the winchester we shoot out to 3 and 4 hundred yards with very good results. i buy them by the case and i believe i pay around $4.00 a box for the federals and the winchesters. the wolfs are cheaper i believe they are around $2.00 a box. they are all very reasonably to shoot for target practice and the occasional crow that makes the mistake of landing within range. nothing wrong with any of this brands. they are no harder on your gun than any other load. they just have the full copper jacket.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

nothing that i have seen wrong with them. i use them for plinking and hog control. i wouldn't use them for normal game hunting due to the fact that they are not very accurate rounds. i wouldn't recommend sighting in a scope with them either.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:16 PM

FMJ's not accurate? Depends on your gun and the ammo. Some FMJ's arevery accurate. Speer lawman 180 grain in my Glock 22 is super accurate. Winchester White Box in my Springfield XD is very accurate. Federal Eagle .308 FMJ will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards in my T/C Encore all day.

The reason we don't use them for hunting is because they do not expand like we need them to. We need a bullet to expand and do damage to kill game such as deer. A FJM will go right through and never expand unless it hits a major bone, leaving no energy just a nice .30/.6mm/.35 hole.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Illeagel for hunting in the State of Florida!!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

great for varmit control and just tearing **** up and they're only illegal if u get caught

Old 10-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Wrong krub6b! they are illegal even when you dont get caught. Remember that our fine sport is under scrutiny and many would love to see it stop altogether. All a critic needs to do to prove theyre point and fuel the anti hunting anti gun topic is to read a post such as yours. EJ
Old 10-11-2005, 10:04 PM

I don't see why FMJ ammo would be illegal for hunting anywhere. NATO has ruled that it is a "humane" way to kill people, why would it not be ok to hunt with the stuff?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:03 PM

NATO says the are humane because they don't blow up and leave fragments in survivors bodies to forever torment them.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:25 AM

I couldn't imagine a deer double lunged by a 150g FMJ round from my '06 dying "inhumanely" or having it even be "marginal" in the performance area. I see the bullet punching through both lungs and exiting the far side. This may not leave a great big hole, but it will certainly do the job. Maybe I am looking at this wrong.

Quick Reply: fmj ammo.????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.