Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which caliber?  Custom timber rifle for elk/deer >

Which caliber? Custom timber rifle for elk/deer

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which caliber? Custom timber rifle for elk/deer

Old 10-06-2002, 09:32 PM

Default RE: Which caliber? Custom timber rifle for elk/deer

Why not a .30-06? I know some of you think its an overrated cartridge but wouldn't its continuing popularity prove otherwise? You could shoot 165gr bullets for deer or elk. And if recoil hurts your shoulder then practicing from the bench is the worse thing. Check loads and sight in from the bench but practice from sitting or kneeling or using shooting sticks. The felt recoil will be alot less since your body can move with the recoil.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:46 PM
Typical Buck

I think I have narrowed it down to these choices: 8x57JS, 7X57, .308 Win, .338-06. Are the .308 and 7X57 too light for the job? Hasn't just about everything on Earth been taken cleanly with both rounds? I am asking for trouble by having a block installed to make the .308 work in the longer action? Please help me out.

Also, does anyone have any experience with either the 8mm-06 or the 8mm/08? I know they are both about the equivalent of the 8X57JS but it would be kind of cool to have a custom rifle chambered for a wildcat round.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 10-07-2002, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

I like the .35 whelen. And I like blonds. And I like Ford pick-ups.

You will probably have your project gun chambered in the cartridge you like best. And thats the way it should be.

And I like apple pie. And I like onion sandwiches. And.....

Robin

Old 10-07-2002, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seattle--plenty of mauser actions are already coming in converted to 308 winchester why wouldn't the 260 or 7-08 work...They will be fine in your gun and the Bull(s) will not be after they get wacked by one and the recoil is neglible.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

oldelkhunter - I'm starting to lean that way. It seems to me that a guy spending $2750 on a custom rifle being built by a riflesmith who also builds benchrest rifles should probably have that rifle chambered for a very accurate round that is capable of taking advantage of all that expensive accuracy (i.e. something usable out to 300-350 yards). Both those fill that bill, with the .260 perhaps being a bit flatter at extreme ranges and the 7mm/08 being able to handle heavier bullets. Although many of my friends have rifles chambered for the various 6.5mm cartridges and all claim they handle elk just fine with 140gr Partitions, I think I may feel more comfortable shooting an elk with the 7mm 160gr Partition (or Grand Slam or Bear Claw or A-Frame or X-Bullet, etc.). I could use 139-140gr bulets for deer and 150gr for combo hunts.

Unless you honestly think the .260 Rem (I would rather have this round than any other) is enough gun for elk out to 200 yds or so, I think I'll have the gun chambered for 7mm/08. But I can still be convinced to go with the .260, if you and the gang are willing to try...

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 10-07-2002, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO the 7mm-08 is a better all around cartridge than the 260. It is very versatile, accurate, and offers good ballistics with low recoil.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't looked at the Nosler Manual(260 remington) to see what energy/velocity you will have at 200 yards but I am sure it will be more than ample .. That bullet 125 partition or 140 is a penetrating SOB . No flies on the 7-08 either ... Bigger better animals have been killed by the 7x57 and 6.5x55 and these are just the modern equivalents. If it were me I would use 140 grain partitions..x bullets..whatever premium bullet shoots best.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-08-2002, 06:32 PM

As much as I like my 35 Whelen, I honestly can't recommend it, considering your requirement for less recoil. They do kick... more than the 30-06. If you put a brake on it, then, yes, that would be my choice. Personally, I don't see the 7-08 or the 260 as being good elk cartridges past about 150-200yds. I know they will kill elk further out than that, but, to me, it's too iffy.... too light a bullet. For deer they would be great.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 10-08-2002, 06:52 PM

Building a rifle like you describe can pose some interesting possibilities. I have some "frankenstein" type mausers myself, and they are fun guns. One thing that is going to limit you is keeping the weight at 7 lbs. That might require a light weight stock and a very light contour barrel. I personally would consider putting a little more meat into this gun just to make it easier to shoot. But if lightweight and tolerable recoil are high on your list, the lighter cartridges mentioned would definately be better. My 338/06 mauser weighs 9 1/4 lbs unloaded, and with 200 gr bullets at 2700 fps recoil is pretty mild. But load 250 gr bullets at max velocities, and it becomes a chore to shoot very many shots off a bench. I have a 7x57 M98 that weighs 8 lbs, and you can shoot it all day without developing a flinch. I guess what I'm saying is dont build a lightweight 338 if you are planning on shooting heavy loads very much. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Quick Reply: Which caliber? Custom timber rifle for elk/deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.