Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which caliber?  Custom timber rifle for elk/deer >

Which caliber? Custom timber rifle for elk/deer

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which caliber? Custom timber rifle for elk/deer

Old 10-04-2002, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which caliber? Custom timber rifle for elk/deer

You know a 260 remington or 7/08 would do the trick for what your after...125 grain partition in the 260 rem and a 140 parition in the 7-08 and your set unless you can find some x bullets that will shoot well out of the gun or some other similiar premium bullet.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

oldelkhunter - Would either of those two short-action rounds present a problem in the Mauser-length action? Would they kind of "rattle around in there" when a guy was trying to chamber a round? If not, my problem may be solved.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 10-04-2002, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Without question this is a project made for the 280. You most likely would have no further need for the 7 Mag.

Old 10-04-2002, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the sound of OTIS's post. 338-06 or 35 whelen. They be tuff to beat.

brian

Old 10-04-2002, 09:21 PM

i think the 35whelen is one of the best under rated calibers out there for under 300yds on aniamls from medium game and up.
i would give my left &%# to see it become a regular caliber in many rifles today..

Old 10-05-2002, 12:29 PM

Have you thought about keeping the rifle as is? Nothing wrong with the original, and maybe it might be worth something in the future as well as keeping it the way it was handed down to you for sentimental value. Have you asked if it has a story behind it. It may have been used by your loved one and has a lot of history behind it. I would check this out from the person that gave it to you. Just a thought.

Hornet Man

Hornet Man
Old 10-05-2002, 02:55 PM

My vote is for 338-06. Great performance at reasonable hunting ranges.

Old 10-06-2002, 12:19 AM
Typical Buck

First of all, I would like to thank all of you who have taken the time to reply. It gladdens my heart that there are so many like-minded individuals willing to share their experience and expertise. Hunters truly are the epitome of the human spirit...

In regards to those who suggest the .338/06: I am very carefully considering this cartridge for my "rifle of a lifetime" but I am still very concerned about the amount of recoil generated by the round in a 7lb. rig. I have a VERY tender shoulder and I would hate to spend $2750 on a rifle that I couldn't shoot. I have already sold off a .300 Wby Mag and a .338 Win Mag because they hurt me too much at the bench for me to put in the appropriate amount of practice required to feel comfortable with each rifle. I think I should try and find some people with a .338/06 so I can shoot a few and see if I can tolerate the recoil. If so, I will happily follow all the good advice and chamber the rifle for this cartridge. If not, the 7 x 57 or the original chambering of 8 x 57 may end up being the right choice.

Hornet Man - Thank you especially for your thoughtful reply. I have given this gift a great deal of thought and respect, and there is indeed a great story behind the rifle (and a CZ Mod 29 that came with it). However, this rifle was given to me precisely because I am the one in our family who carries on the hunter's way of life. The Kentucky Colonel who brought the rifle home from WWII knew I would do the right thing and continue to tradition of hunting deer and elk (he did so in Arizona). I am expected to make this into an heirloom piece that will hopefully be handed down to many generations of hunters. By the way, my daughter is already quite intrigued with hunting, and she goes with me on a regular basis. She won't be shooting this rifle, though. I will get her one of her own.

Also, the riflesmith who will build the rig informs me that he would have no problem with making this a short-action chambering. Does this change anyone's mind?

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 10-06-2002, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the barrel is in good condition, save your money and keep the 8x57. Use the saved money to buy good reloading equipment to reload for the cartridge as there isn't much choice out there for usable factory loads. Handloaded, the 8x57 will pretty much equal the 30-06 but with a larger diameter bullet- kind of a halfway point between a 30-06 and a 35 Whelen. In fact a 338-06 isn't much of a change from the 8mm other than the fact that you can shoot heavier bullets yet.

If you already have a CZ-29 you would want to reload for that one too. You can get amazing accuracy out of one of those rifles. One of the best bolt action rifles ever made IMHO.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 10-06-2002, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

seattlesetters. the .338/'06 is a great cartridge, but in a rifle of the weight you are talking about, IT WILL DEFINITELY EXCEED your recoil limitation (+- 20 ft/lb). The .338/06 IS NOT JUST A SHORT-RANGE woods rifle!! As you mention, the 8X57JS with a 200 grain bullet at 2600 FPS would be great at woods ranges, and beyond too! I have an 8X60 RS shooting a 200 grain Nosler Partition or Speer spitzer at 2620 FPS. This one's good to over 200 yards, and this from an old J.P. Sauer double rifle!!

Keep yore powder dry!!

Quick Reply: Which caliber? Custom timber rifle for elk/deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.