Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Not exactly a hunting rifle, but a new toy anyhow. >

Not exactly a hunting rifle, but a new toy anyhow.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Not exactly a hunting rifle, but a new toy anyhow.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Not exactly a hunting rifle, but a new toy anyhow.

Just got this in this last week, an M41B sniper rifle. So far I've been pretty impressed with it, the optics for being 40+ years old are crystal clear and gather a lot of light but the windage/elevation adjustments are a little goofy. I put about 40 rounds through it this last week just to test it out, it shows some good potential- at 50 yards it put 3 shots into one hole that was barely bigger than a .264" bullet. When I go tthe scope on paper good enough to shoot longer ranges, it went to hell in the way of vertical stringing. I found that one of the guard screws was loose. I took her home, took her apart, cleaned the goop out of the stock and retorqued the guard screws, hopefull it will make agood showing next week, when I attempt to zero it at 300 yards.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Not exactly a hunting rifle, but a new toy anyhow.

One reason why it wouldn't make much of a hunting rifle aside from the length, is that it weighs around 15 lbs. The swedish 96s weigh about 11-12 lbs to start with, and the mount/rings/scope adds at least another 3 lbs.

Old 09-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

and why isn't it a hunting rifle??? sounds like a good accurate gun. sounds like it would do great for deer, mulies, and such. its the 6.5 swede right?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew before I even opened this thread that the gun in question would be something not created in the last50 years! As usual Briman, you have a nice peice of history, and Im sure you will preserve it nicely. One side question, do you own a gun made after WWII?
Old 09-24-2005, 10:41 PM

No 1896 Mauser ever went 11 to 12 pounds, not even with the densest stockwood ever grown! I think you will find if you weigh the rig it is closer to 11 pounds total. Nice rifle, should be a lot of fun.

I hunt with a Mosin Nagant M91/30 "sniper" thatI put together, never felt handicapped by length or weight.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

No 1896 Mauser ever went 11 to 12 pounds, not even with the densest stockwood ever grown! I think you will find if you weigh the rig it is closer to 11 pounds total. Nice rifle, should be a lot of fun.
I'll have to throw her on a scale, you're probably spot on. It does feel substantial though, sort of like hefting a Browning A-5 for the first time after one has handled nothing but 870s their entire life. I wish I would have bought an M-N Sniper a half dozen years ago when they were still available for a affordable price, neat guns.

Yes, I do own a few guns made after WWII[8D]
Old 09-25-2005, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sweeeeeeet. I have a CG m41B sans the mount and scope. Open sights at 100 yds with 140 gr corlokts puts up a 1.5" grp. Unfortunately I'm not the one shooting those groups. Where'd you pick that one up? The only places I'e seen them is Sarco and Samco.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Charley

I hunt with a Mosin Nagant M91/30 "sniper" thatI put together, never felt handicapped by length or weight.
that's what i was going to do but after i got it i didn't like the safety or think that it was very safe that was just me though. i ended up trading it to go for a rem 700 in 30-06. i would definately have to say that i'm happy with the trade.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:26 PM

The safety on a Mosin Nagant is about the safest, most positive safety ever designed. Not exactly blindingly fast to manipulate, though...
Old 09-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thunderchicken- I orderd it from Samco.

If you want to get a set of mounts, rings, and scope, you probably could get a set from Samco. From what I've read, they have some rifles that are damaged, worn out or otherwise unsaleable and have spare parts. To get a ballpark figure, on my invoice, they itemized each piece- scope was ~$377, Mounts= $150.The only problem is thatyou would want your mounts and rings to be serialized together as they pieces are handfited, and the mounts, ringswere serialed to the rifle's receiver atthe Swedish armory ion Stockholm where the M41bs were built.They listed the rifle as being around $800 on the invoice. I always thought it went the other way where they had $1000 worth of optics and mounts on a $300 rifle.

Quick Reply: Not exactly a hunting rifle, but a new toy anyhow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.