Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handguns...

Old 09-21-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Handguns...

Thinking of getting a handgun for home defense / plinking. I'm mainly looking at a 1911, but not sure where to turn? 45 or 9mm (in case my wife needs to use it), What make Kimber, Glock, beretta or ? There are alot of choices and would appreciate a little help. looking for a middle of the road $, around $800. I'm only 5'9", so I'd be looking for smaller grips also.

Thanks for the input
Old 09-21-2005, 07:10 PM

Default RE: Handguns...

KIMBER IS A GREAT GUN BUT DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN GET ONE FOR THAT PRICE AND UNLESS THE MRS'S IS KNOWLEDGIBLE AND EXPIRIENCED WITH 1911'S IT'S POSSIBLE IF SHE PICKED IT UP IN THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT AND GRIPPED THE WEAPON INCORRECTLY AND NOT ENGAGE THE GRIP SAFETY RENDERING THE WEAPON USELESS. GLOCK SOUNDS LIKE YOUR BEST OPTION FOR PRICE AND FIT. DUE TO THE GRIP CONCERNS AND THE MRS. I'D STAY WITH THE 9MM.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:16 PM

I would also suggest the 9mm if your wife will be shooting it. My wife can handle the 1911, but she enjoys shoting the 9mm, 40 S&W much more. If you are going to look into the Glock, I would strongly reccomend you take a look at the Springfield XD. I own 2 of them, and they are great guns. I also prefer them over the Glock's that I used to own. Good luck
Old 09-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

9mm. Less recoil and effective for defense. Ruger makes some decent handguns.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/P-CategoryPistolsCF.html
Old 09-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: FastShootingCarts

9mm. Less recoil and effective for defense. Ruger makes some decent handguns.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/P-CategoryPistolsCF.html
I agree. I've got a 9mm CZ. It's cheap, accurate, and easy to operate (just pull the trigger).
Old 09-21-2005, 08:33 PM

Assuming that you have no children in the house and your wife is familiar with gun safety i would go with the glock. they are the most reliable and durable handgun made in my opinion. But the glocks have no external safties, so if you are looking for something with a little more safety features, then i would go with the springfield 1911, or a kimber. with your price range, you could afford a new glock, or springfield..it might be a little tough to find a kimber unless it is used. either way, you cant go wrong with one of these three
Old 09-22-2005, 01:03 AM

Check out the Sig models 239 & 229. Both available in 9mm, with 8 or 10 round capacity, respectively. Excellent pistols, and within your $$$ limit.

Old 09-22-2005, 03:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it was me&my wife & we had no other handguns to use i wouldnt get the Glock- nothing wrong with it- As the mate she can shoot it well its a model 17- 17 shot grip. But it will jam on herquit a few timesbefore emptying the mag. Not something id want her to have to rely onanyways in a life or death situation such as defence.

Its all in her grip is how i understand it& the reasons why - havent got it to work for her right yet - (maybe with some help & practice i dont know)Never had it jam on me.

Her personal fav (one she carries the most) would be our ruger revolver /sp 101 in 357 mag.

2 other 9 mm,s she shoot rather well also- But DONT jam for her is a rugerp 89( cheaply had) & a 100 dollar chinese/russianTokarev copy
Old 09-22-2005, 06:31 AM

My wife too has her choice of carry guns and only carries and depends on her Smith M60. When we go to the range, she'll always take a few shots with the Kimber, or one of the other autos, but her revolver is what she likes the best. And believe it or not, for a little bidy woman, she prefers to shoot full power house loads in her Smith. The nice thing is, no safety to worry about and it won't stovepipe on here!
Old 09-22-2005, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

take a look at Springfield. XD9, or their 1911 is very nice. Priced better then the rest as well. Just make sure you go and hold all the guns (your wife too), you may find one that fits you two better which is the most important aspect of buying a handgun. As for glocks? some like some hate. I don't like them a bit. Their grip angle is not comfortable for me. In addition, i don't find them to be the "safest gun" out there. My xd9 has a nice grip safety which is an added saftey bonus when carrying. Glocks are good guns, just make sure you hold one before you fall for the "glock craze".

Quick Reply: Handguns...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.