Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 dirt cheap scope >

dirt cheap scope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

dirt cheap scope

Old 09-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default dirt cheap scope

HEY BC...you're going to love this

I just bought a cheap simmons 3-9 X 40 8-point scope. I attached it to a FN actioned .30-06 and sighted it it.

I started bore sighting at 50 yards and fired a few shots at 9 power.....

then moved to 100 yards where I was going to finalize the sight in for 1" high.....

That $%*& scope was so fuzzy at 9X at 100 yards that I almost couldn't see the target....well I did manage to see and finally sighted to 1" or so high at that range.

It'll still be fine as a deer hunting scope but it's not something I'd buy again.....

All other functions was fine.....I moved it 2" left and the bullets moved 2" left...great.

The optical clarity however sucks a big one!!!!

I miss my Tascos!!!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 12:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: dirt cheap scope

The only Simmons scopes that I have used are the Aeteck, WTH and Pro Hunter straight opwer scopes. Thses all worked fine. Thanks for the warning on the Eight Point.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:43 AM

This site gives me a good chuckle. Get what you pay for I guess.

I'm sure that with Simmon's Limited Lifetime Warentee they will glady replace it for you if something goes wrong........for the price of a NEW one.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

I've three simmon's 8 pt scopes on three diff. rifles and agree that you get what you pay for. I haven't had problems with the image, but the one I've had no my main rifle for 5 years is starting to give me a wandering POI. A leopuld is in the works, but I've had to put the cash into firearms for kids coming of hunting age and have had to sacrifice on quality of scopes for a lack of funds. I won't dis on cheap scopes. I've got my money's worth out of them. They'll get you by for a time, but I would defninately start out high end if I could afford to.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some cheap scopes have worked well for me. About eight years ago I bought five Tasco Pronghorn straight four power scopes. They have all worked well without any change in POI or any further adjusting on five deer rifles from 250 Savage to 30-06. I paid 19.95 per scope and they have sure been worth much more. Cheap variables however are another story.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought one to mount on a .22 a few years ago, the parallex was so bad that I ended up thinking that putting the 20 year old 4x tasco scope back on was an upgrade.
still have the 8-point, but haven't had the urge to put it on anything yet.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just learned this was a "take-off" scope from a Savage "package" gun. It came with the gun and it's owner didn't like it and traded it in.....It was cheap ( I gave $32 for it) and functions fine and all I wanted was a cheap scope. However by far the poorest optical quality I've seen.

I have a 15-45 power Tasco spotting scope with which I have counted six moons on the planet Jupiter......it too was dirt cheap, but to see moons on Jupiter says a lot for it's clarity.....Simmons needs to take some lessons from Tasco......
Old 09-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

"That $%*& scope was so fuzzy at 9X at 100 yards that I almost couldn't see the target"

Are you sure you had it turned the right way?

Did everything look really small?

I just could not resist posting that.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got a TCR once with a .22/250 barrel which had a Simmons 6X-18X on it. The gun was very accurate, but the scope could not be used much above 9X due to the problem you mentioned - it just got too fuzzy. High magnification is useless if you lose definition!!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:50 AM
bigcountry

You know as a guy who understand a little about optics, some of these cheaper simmons and bushnells, have me scratching my head.

I borroweda simmons target scope off of Mossyoak on here, just temporarily to test a gun I was goingto buy,and it was real fuzzy at some powers but cleared up by changing the AO to some crazy number like 500 yards. I can't figure out what construction they have that would cause this. Also parallax was way out of wack, I could move my head a little back and forth and POI could change upwards of 3" at 50 yards.

It might be a combination of problems. But also saw this this weekend on a tasco on a AR-15. So it must be common. I can't figure it out.