Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 new gun need advice >

new gun need advice

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new gun need advice

Old 09-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Spike

Default new gun need advice

In March my guns were stolen and never recovered. I lost my rem 280 from this. Question for you guys. Is there a difference b/w 7mm mag, 7mm short magnum and 7mm ultra mag. Is the ultra mag alot to handle and more costly?

Also I am looking at th savage since my funds need ot be limited is this a good choice.

Let me know oyur thoughts and pros & cons

thanks

David
Old 09-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new gun need advice

The 7mmwsm and 7mmremmag are very similar in performance while the 7mmultramag adds about 300fps.Factory loads for the 7mmremmag are available in a great variety of loads so you can usually find one that shoots good in your rifle.Factory loads for the wsm are not nearly as common but there are a few available.Factory loads for the 7mmultramag are very limited and they are very mild.The 7mmwsm and 7mmrem mag produce similar recoil and have similar barrel life while the 7mmultramag produces significantly more recoil and offers significantly less barrel life.In short,for the average shooter the 7mmremmag and 7mmwsm are fine choices while the 7mmultramag is a poor choice especially for a one gun hunter or someone that does not reload.If on the other hand ,your shooting skills are much above average,you are willing to practise a great deal at longer distances to take advantage of the 7mmultramags flatter trajectory, and you are an experienced handloader the 7mmultramag does offer an advantage at distances from around 400 yards and farther.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: TXhunter2

In March my guns were stolen and never recovered. I lost my rem 280 from this. Question for you guys. Is there a difference b/w 7mm mag, 7mm short magnum and 7mm ultra mag. Is the ultra mag alot to handle and more costly?

Also I am looking at th savage since my funds need ot be limited is this a good choice.

Let me know oyur thoughts and pros & cons

thanks

David
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htmhere is the recoil tabe if this covers your "to much to handle".
But if i were you i would go with the 7wsm b/c of the faster following shots. and ammo is beging to get a lil bit easier to find. The 7ultra mag has veryflat shotting bullets and high velocity and energy ballistics but ammo is hard to find[:@]or else i would be interested in one!
Old 09-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm an old diehard.....the 7 MM Rem Mag is still as good as it gets.....sorry about the .280...I'd prefer that to any of the mags.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Vapodog
I'm an old diehard.....the 7 MM Rem Mag is still as good as it gets.....sorry about the .280...I'd prefer that to any of the mags.
What He Said!
Old 09-18-2005, 09:03 AM
DM

[/quote]

What He Said!
[/quote]

Me too...

Drilling Man
Old 09-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Vapodog
[/blockquote]

What He Said!
Old 09-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

If you're trying to replace a 280 and money is tight, you may want to consider the 7mm-08. This gun will handle everything up to moose. Also, the ammo is much, much cheaper and available everywhere.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

If you are thinking ultramag I would look at the 300 instead of the 7mm. Same velocity as the 7mm. It just seems like too much powder to drive down that small of a barrel to me.

Federal has expanded its lineup of 7MM-WSM ammo and they have some nice bullet options now for various situations.The WSM does slightly outperform the Remmington magnum ifthat is what you are looking for.
If you are hunting Texas whitetails another 280 would be a good pick also.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

The WSM does slightly outperform the Remmington magnum ifthat is what you are looking for.
If you are hunting Texas whitetails another 280 would be a good pick also.
Only according to the browning and winchester advertising.The cartridge capacities are pretty much equal,and when you consider thatmost 7mmremmags have longer barrels than the factory 7mmwsm's,the 7mmremmag may even havethe advantage.

Quick Reply: new gun need advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.