Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .338  anyone shoot one? >

.338 anyone shoot one?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.338 anyone shoot one?

Old 09-17-2005, 04:55 PM

Default RE: .338 anyone shoot one?

You may have a point. I started using these Lead Sled devices only recently - after more than30 years of being pounded by all sort of hard kicking rifles. But if you started a 14 year old kid out with the Lead Sled, would they start crying and throw the gun down after one shot prone in the field? I don't know . . . Or would they never develop the little flinch I have fought on and off for decades?

In my case, there is enough adrenalin involved in shooting game under field conditions to make me oblivious to the recoil. And since my brain doesn't know the gun kicks much, from shooting off the bench, it doesn't let me invoke any bad habits at the Moment of Truth. The "learning to shoot under field conditions" can be done with smaller calibers - and I nowonly shoot the bigger rifles off the Lead Sled or at big game. For me, these things work.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:09 PM

Roskoe,

I believe skills between riflesARE transferable between modern high power (and higher power) riflesand that youCAN sufficiently emulate "practice under field conditions" with a smaller bore --- as you mentioned. The more experience you have, the more you will be able to easily (and soundly)do this IMHO; however, for thesomeone with a first timemagnumto shoot it only off a bench/sled and then head up to the "big time" may result in a "scope eye" for lack of practice and full appreciation for the requisitefundamental "seperation basics"; an old pro on the other hand, probably not.

Good points, and I know where you're coming from.
=================================

Interestingly, so many here seem to think one has to "shoot the wheels off" of a rifle to be any good with it (the old "watch out for a man with only one rifle" crappola). If we're talking high power modern scoped rifles and you are already good with them, then I would posit that it is not the case at all. These modern scoped high powered rifles just don't take that much talent --- now bowhunting --- that takes talent and lots of practice.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Spike

I have read everyone's post and just wanted to say a big THANKS! Elkampmaster, thanks for the steps...I am going to try it all the first time I shoot this new gun; which incidentally I can't wait to get to the range.

Again Thanks everyone!
Old 09-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: muncylabman

Question for anyone out there; I just bought a Remington in .338, stainless, laminated stock. Beautiful gun. Alot of guys are telling me that it's gonna kick the crap out of me, why beat myself up, etc. [] Anyone shoot one? What's it like? I previously owned a .35 Whelen and shot that accurately...hopefully I will able to become accurate w/ this as it will be my main gun. Also the scope to go on it. I am looking at a Nikon 4-12 x 50 Buckmaster. Is this a good choice for this gun? Any help, advice, info or assistance is appreciated. THANKS![8D]
It will kick the crap out of you if you let it. Learn to shoot it, no big thing. There are people out there who think a .300WBY Mag kicks a lot. Just learn to shoot it. That's all. Go with the flow (recoil). It's going to recoil, you know that. Take it on and take aim. You'll hit your target.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ELKAMPMASTER IS DEAD ON WITH ADVICE! he helped me out a year ago with my 338. put a nice recoil pad on it and wear ear plugs with headphone earing protection over that. try to shoot in cooler temperature. 85 degrees compared to 55 is a big difference. when the shot comes for game you will never notice.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Everyone:

EKM and Liquid hit it pretty well I think. I like hunting/shootingthe bigger boys as much as anyone. I think it is important to remember that most people are practicing in the summer, wearing t-shirts etc, grump about sore shoulders, yet hunt withmany layers of clothing on. That clothing can absorb alot of recoil and also affects the LOP of the stock. You might be a bit uncomfortable, but try to practice wearing the same clothing you would in the field.

Good luck,
CE
Old 09-19-2005, 08:31 AM

Everyone on here has damn good advice. The biggest thing to remember is that it is a mental thing,you have to convince yourself that its not going to be as bad as you think, that it is just an after effect. If you use these steps, you should do fien.. My personal hunting rifle is a 300 win mag, and I stepped up to it from a 243, it was a huge difference. I got advice similar to what you got here, and I can go through a box of shells now before I notice myself flinching, and my group size starts to grow. If you are a sick twisted individual like my dad says I am you can learn to enjoy the recoil, the feel of power I guess LOL. While over here in Iraq, I have got several opportunities, to shoot a Barret 50 cal Sniper Rifle. The felt recoil isnt bad, slightly worse than my 300, but the shockwave from the brake is immpressive to say the least!!!!