Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Opinions on Remington 700 ADL? >

Opinions on Remington 700 ADL?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions on Remington 700 ADL?

Old 09-16-2005, 03:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Opinions on Remington 700 ADL?

I am thinking of buying one in 30-06, any comments positive or negative would be appreciated.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opinions on Remington 700 ADL?

Good morning bud,I believe the main difference in the BDL and the ADL is the ADL has a "Blind" Magazine like a Savage 110 .The BDL has a"Hinged" Floor Plate.Both are the same action.If you don't have one already picked outget with me and we will get you what you want in what ever caliber you want.You know the deals that I always run across.BTW Are you and Capt. Brad coming down for our annual race andhunt this year?Looking forward to it.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

What say young man, long time since we last chatted. I hope you and yours are well.

I was looking at a brand new 700 ADL with a Bushnell scope for $449 at Gander Mountain. I have no credit cards and they have a deal where if you open a VISA account through Gander they give you $75 worth of merchandise if you make over a $300 purchase and it is interst free for 6 months. I figured I might buy the gun after opening the account, get my $75 worth of stuff, pay the card off in full right after that and close the account!!! LOL We have lived without credit cards for the past 5 years and I do not want to mess with them any more. The only money we owe is on the house and I really like it that way.

I have already commited this year to hunt with a friend down in Lee county Va. so I will have to decline the hunting/race offer this year, I just don't have enough vacation time to do it. If you want to we can hook up next year for the race/hunt.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:56 AM

Not sure if you are talking new or older. I have owned 4 ADLs, all pre J lock wood stock models. I can't and won't say anything bad about any of them. Three of the 4 werereliable, fired when they should have and never when they weren't supposed to, fairly accurate, had ok triggers and the bolts never fell off. Out of the box, all but one (a 30-06) shot sub 1.25" groups with factory ammo. Those three were also very consistent with a wide variety of ammo. The 06 was a dog.

I don't own any now as I found none really fit me well. I found the felt recoil was significantly greater with those rifles than any other I owned, again due to fit. My money now goes to rifles that fit me better but all things being equal, I'd buy another.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the info portage, funny thing you should mention fit, this gun fits me to a tee! I tried several others that just didn't pull up right.

I am according to my father a natural shot, of course in my opinion once you start using a scope the "natural shot" portion goes by the wayside. What I do like about the gun so far is when I pick out a target at a distance, pull the gun up and it just seems to naturally come right up to my shoulder and the target is right in the scope. I have always found that a gun that fits you tends to shoot better and recoil less then one that doesn't.

One quick question if you don't mind, when you say sub 1.25. groups, what yardage are you talking about, and second when you said the 06 was a dog, are you talking about grouping and if so how bad? Do you think it was just that gun or all of them?
Old 09-16-2005, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tazman

I am thinking of buying one in 30-06, any comments positive or negative would be appreciated.
Of the ones I've had experience with, I thought they fit me well and was extremely accurate.

I'd prefer the new CDL today aesthetically but as far as function and fit....the ADL is good to go IMO.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just picked up a 700 BDL in 30-06 and it shoots like a dream. Given it's not anADL, but there's a lot of bad publicity about Remington rifles out there right now and I'm here to say that they still make some fine rifles.

As a heads up - Gander Mtn. in Fredericksburg wanted $669 for the 700 BDL, Leesburg Guns wanted $699, Dicks in Manassas & Fair Lakes both wanted $599, and I special ordered it through Walmart for $550. It pays to shop around. All these places are near you, I live in Centreville and hunt all over Northern & Central VA. Another thing I didn't like about GM was that while they have a heck of a selection, all the guns are out on the shelves so anyone can handle them. What's to say a gun hasn't been dropped, etc.? Maybe you could score one out of the back, I don't know.I'll be honest, after seeing the price andthe horriblecustomer service, I didn't stick around long. Here's a link to my 700 BDL, I didn't see the ADL:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3170109

Hollarif you have any more questions.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:10 AM

1.25 inches or less off a bench with a Leupold VariX-II 2x7 or 3x9 at 100 yards.

The 30-06 was, in my opinion, one that got through quality control. It did not feed well, cartridges would bind inside the magazine and it shot 2-5 inch groups. I believe with some work it would have been straightened out but I wasn't inclined to spend the time. No, I don't think that was normal for 700 ADLs of that period (early 90s vintage)
Old 09-16-2005, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Coolbrze0 yesterday they had a new 700 ADL with a Bushnell scope at Gander for $449. I was in there about 2 PM and actually wound talking with the head gunsmith for about 15-20 minutes, really nice guy. Oh one more thing the gunsmith feels the same way I do, just because the factory bore sights the gun doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done again upon purchase, he said it was only $5.

Portage nothing wrong with those groups at all. I have a feeling as you said, you got one that slip[ped by the quality control folks.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Let me throw another question out there about 30-06 ballstics, if the gun is dead on at 100 yards with 165 grain bullets where can I expect it to hit at 50 yards? 150 yards? 200 yards?

I have hunted for over 40 years and all of it has been with rare exception terrain that if your gun can shoot accurately to 100 yards you were good to go, as a result until know I have used a 30-30 exclusively when hunting with rifle, in the military (many moons ago) I shot further but the ballistics were drilled into your head!

Quick Reply: Opinions on Remington 700 ADL?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.