HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   POI changed? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/112218-poi-changed.html)

StrutnBPS 09-10-2005 12:47 AM

POI changed?

Last year I set my scope with 140gr. Winchester AccuBonds. Over the summer I shot the rest of the box that I set my scope with.

I bought a new box yesterday and went out to shoot a little since our season is less than a week away.

The bullets from this box were hitting about an 1/2 of inch low and an inch to the left when compared tothe ones in the other box. They still grouped very well, just POI wasn't the same. Has anyone ever had this happen?

The scope hasn't moved b/c I also shot a few regular 130gr. Power Points that I keep with me for yotes. These still hit in the same place as they did last year.

Vapodog 09-10-2005 03:02 AM

RE: POI changed?

Many guns I've owned have done that. some more than others and it's why we sight them in every year.

One gun I had that didn't do that was a Remington 760 (two piece stock)

Wingbone 09-10-2005 06:53 AM

It's common enough that you should check your rifle every year. Slight variations in componants, moisture levels in the gunstock, any number of variables cause it to happen.

stubblejumper 09-10-2005 08:48 AM

Since the different poi resulted from a new box of ammunition,it is quite possible that the new box is from a different lot#.If it is from a different lot#,a slight change in poi is quite normal.That is why it is advisable to buy several boxes of the same lot# when you buy ammunition.The lot# is usually stamped on the end flap of each box.

bigcountry 09-10-2005 12:57 PM

Happens when I use cheap scopes like tasco or the cheaper simmons and bushnells. Thats the reason I got away from them. Never have a problem withmy leupolds or bushnell elites. But I handload everything, so it may be the diferent lot of ammo.

stubblejumper 09-10-2005 01:34 PM

Everyone seems to be ignoring this statement made in the original post.

The scope hasn't moved b/c I also shot a few regular 130gr. Power Points that I keep with me for yotes. These still hit in the same place as they did last year.

If the poi has not changed at all for one load,the difference has to be the other load.Bedding or scope problems would effect both loads.

gopher slayer 09-10-2005 03:14 PM

its the lot # of the ammo, it happens alot with rimfires also

bigcountry 09-10-2005 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Everyone seems to be ignoring this statement made in the original post.

If the poi has not changed at all for one load,the difference has to be the other load.Bedding or scope problems would effect both loads.
Your right, I was just scanning.

Vapodog 09-10-2005 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Happens when I use cheap scopes like tasco or the cheaper simmons and bushnells. Thats the reason I got away from them. Never have a problem withmy leupolds or bushnell elites. But I handload everything, so it may be the diferent lot of ammo.
Hey guys, I was wondering what you do with the extra valve grinding compound that Leupold sends out with their scopes.....you know the stuff....the stuff they supply so that if the clarity isn't what you want you can polish a little more on your own?????

Ever use it to lap your bolt lugs?

bigcountry 09-10-2005 07:32 PM

Havne't bought a new one in 3 years but no compound with it. Usually the clearest out there. And I have seen em all.