HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   probly a stupid question but im new its about scopes? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/111773-probly-stupid-question-but-im-new-its-about-scopes.html)

ryncam16 09-06-2005 03:16 PM

probly a stupid question but im new its about scopes?

if you sight in a scope let say at 3 power and then take a shot at lets say 8 power will it still be on it probly a dumb question but i dont no? and at a 100 yards what power should your scope be on?

bigcountry 09-06-2005 03:33 PM

RE: probly a stupid question but im new its about scopes?

If you sight a gun in at 16 power dead center at 100 yards and then knock it back to 4 power, it better be dead on. This was a major problem with alot of the cheaper scopes. Its cause of tolerances are too loose. Some say its best if the power ring is actually hard to turn. That means not much tolerance. I believe that to a point.

Second reasonI upgraded scopes.

ryncam16 09-06-2005 03:38 PM

well im looking at the bushnell 3200 or burris fullfeild two the cheaper ones well around 175 so what power should i sight them in on for 100 yards

bigcountry 09-06-2005 03:45 PM

Well, all scopes you should verify this. But I sight in any scope usually at 200 yards with the highest power. I then will verify later at a lower power. while testing my POI at 50 or 100 yards, I might nock it down to 3X. My vision is so bad, that at 200 yards, I can't see the target well at 3X.

You won't regret that 3200. It doesnt' have the eye relief I like but I don't need it with alot of my calibers.

ryncam16 09-06-2005 04:09 PM

ok thank you i got very good eye sight so at 100 yards you would say power 3 would be good so should i start at 100 and work down to about 25 or work my way up to 100 yards or 200 yards

stubblejumper 09-06-2005 06:45 PM

If your scope is a 3x9 for example use 9x to adjust the scope because you can hold the crosshairs more precisely on the target.Then hunt on 3x in case a quick shot is required at close range.If the animal is at longer range and you desire more magnification,you will likely have time to re-adjust the magnification.

buckhunter3 09-06-2005 11:55 PM

the best way as stated is to use a higher power to sight in and then I leave my scope on 4 power for hunting.Another way to save you ammo is to have someone with you and after you shoot a couple ofrounds hold the crosshairs on a steady rest on the center of the bullseye and have someone ajust the scope where you were hitting the groups while you look in the scope and tell them to ajust either left or right or up or down. and your next shot should be pretty close.saves on ammo going only a few clicks at a time.

BYRD250 09-07-2005 09:31 AM

when i sight in my scopes, i always put it on the highest power....get it right...then test it at the lowest....it should be right at the lowest if you got it at the highest. id say that 99% of my shots are at highest power anyway.

Solitary Man 09-07-2005 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

If your scope is a 3x9 for example use 9x to adjust the scope because you can hold the crosshairs more precisely on the target.Then hunt on 3x in case a quick shot is required at close range.If the animal is at longer range and you desire more magnification,you will likely have time to re-adjust the magnification.
That's pretty much what I would have said.