Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Be Sensible! >

Be Sensible!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Be Sensible!

Old 09-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Be Sensible!

Not trying to single anyone out, just venting one of my little pet peeves--- starting new shooters out with too big of a gun!
Remember, there are many people who come to this board as new shooters, and hunters.Not knowing their age, size, and/or penchant for recoil, it is just plain irresponsible to suggest to them large magnum calibers, and bores! That is the easiest way to turn them away from shooting sports, or getting them to develope a flinch, that may take years of work to undo!
I can shoot the big boys all day long now, but I can still remember that first shot with an old 12 ga. Winchester singleshot, over 40 years ago!
Remember, even a lightweight .308 can be more than many people can handle! So, please do not be recommending .300 magnums to newbies!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:20 AM

Default RE: Be Sensible!

I agree.

One of my friends took his g'f turking hunting two seasons ago. He called up a nice gobbler and she shot at it. As soon as she pulled the trigger, she threw the gun on the ground. She won't touch a gun now. With that said, she missed.

I asked why he didn't buy her a 20ga. (this guy can more than afford it) or at least put a 2 3/4 shell in the gun. He said he didn't think it kicked that hard. To a MAN that has hunted all his life, it may not.

I will admit that when I am shooting at game, I do not feel the recoil at all. But on paper, its a different picture.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow... That reminds me of the story about my wife (years and years ago back in the late 70's). My wife was only like 16 years old at the time and was hanging out with her sister and a bunch of boys that they knew. One of them decides to go home and get his dad's 30-06 and a box of rounds. They decide to venture off into the woods to play around shooting the 30-06. (back in those days, you could do things like that)...

Anyway, my wife never even held a rifle before. Heck, she never even shot a BB gun before either!! These boys wanted to play a cruel prank on her and her sister and said something like, "here ya go, try it" - with no instruction on how to hold it or what the recoil would be like.

Long story short - my wife pulled the trigger, got knocked about 5' backwards, stumbled, and landed on her butt. [] To this very day, all these years later, she won't go near a gun, rifle, shotgun, handgun, etc...etc... She didn'tturn into an ANTI - thank God, but she is extremely timid and scared to death of firearms. {way to go boys, back in the 70's... way to go... a**holes!!!! [:@]}
Old 09-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Not trying to single anyone out, just venting one of my little pet peeves--- starting new shooters out with too big of a gun!
Remember, there are many people who come to this board as new shooters, and hunters.Not knowing their age, size, and/or penchant for recoil, it is just plain irresponsible to suggest to them large magnum calibers, and bores! That is the easiest way to turn them away from shooting sports, or getting them to develope a flinch, that may take years of work to undo!
I can shoot the big boys all day long now, but I can still remember that first shot with an old 12 ga. Winchester singleshot, over 40 years ago!
Remember, even a lightweight .308 can be more than many people can handle! So, please do not be recommending .300 magnums to newbies!
DITTO!
Old 09-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

I agree. With the improved powders and bullets today magnums should be less relevant than they were 25 years ago, yet when you listen to someposts you would think magnums are the only responsible way to hunt.

I do like the idea of the new low recoil loads by Federal and Remington for new shootersso you can avoid buying a second gun later. It is a limited selection of ammo choices, but in my mindyou can justify a 300 Win Mag for a 14 year oldif itwill kick less than a 308 like the Manage Recoil loads do. I think the low recoil ammo is going to become more poular as time goes on.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a .270 at 15.....how much better off I'd have been with a .222 and now I see folks recommending .30-06 to kids of 8.....what a joke!!!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 07:46 PM

I'd agree that magnums aren't a good place for a newbie (especially a child-child) to start.
=================================

When building a rack of long guns, for the first three guns it's hard to beat a 22LR, a 12 gauge (trap loads for starters), and a 30-06 (low bullet weights or reduced loads tame it right down)---saving the 30-06 for last.

**Paying attention to stock fit and gun weight is always key.
**Small/weak kids would do well to start with a varmit rifle on varmits (not deer) before moving up to the 30-06.
**For some big game animals, the child needs to wait until they grow into being able to handle thespectrum of rifles appropirate for thatgame.
**Too many individuals enjoy setting up a newbie (no training, short stock, heavy bullets, etc.) to get slapped when introducing them to a borrowed rifle; a crime in itself, IMHO.

Also a very key element in this equationis the attributes of theindividual --- not everyone has the same salt --- I was a string bean as a kid, and ....

22LR at 5
410 at 8
30-30 Win at 9 [:'(]
12 gauge at 10
270 at 14 (10 years older brother had a 243 &I consistantly out shot him on prairie dogs)
338WinMag at 23
Note: Did okay shooting my brother's friend's 458WinMag at 16 (standing); it was a novel experience, but the rifle was way heavy to shoot free hand (thankfully). Just never scared of a bigger gun, carries thru from childhood to today.

Just love smacking them and the more the merrier--- then again I did start with a 22 and spent the obligatory childhood time time screwing around with a 30-30, it was a looooong wait until I could save my schenkles for that 270, then I triedthat 338WinMag and oh my oh my --- now we're talkin', I've never looked back since.

Plan on using a 458 Lott on elk this fall just for practice and grins (giggle, giggle, can't wait). I know I've strayed from the topic a bit; however, my point is there are no steadfast rules, it depends largely on the particular individual in question.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:10 PM

The first gun I ever owned is the Remington 870 I still own today. Was an express model, 12 ga, 28 inch barrel! At nine years old, it was a bit much, but I think that I can shoot just about anything now. The pain still hurts, but I don't flinch. lol.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:55 AM

Agreed! IMO, there's really not much need for any magnum cartridge to hunt anything in the lower 48. I've used 'em years ago, and enjoyed shooting 'em. Still do, especially like the 375H&H. But, to start off with folks should get well acquainted with a good 22LR. Then, for a first centerfire deer cartridge try out a few at the local ranges. Most, I think, would do well to go with the likes of the 6.5x55, 270Win., 7x57, 280Rem., etc., or evena 30/30. Heck, for deer you really don't need anymore than these provide.
7mm-08 or 308Win. if you want a short action.

Old 09-07-2005, 06:56 AM

If deer is your quarry, then it don't take much to whack them, especially short range whitetails. Many folks plateau at this level.

High mountain muley's may be a bit more challenging in terms of rifle performance.

The good news is rifles are relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of the bigger hunting trips, so one can always buy another one foraway from home/remotetripsfor bigger game later, that is assuming that you don't become stuck in a rut and soooo attached to "old Betsy" that you can't mentally move beyond her,which of course leads intothe neverending"just get by with what you've got" game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.