HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   which rifle slug? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/111697-rifle-slug.html)

buckhunter3 09-06-2005 02:28 AM

which rifle slug?

I have a mossberg 500 shotgun and bought a rifled barrel for it.
I was shooting rem.sluggers in it with an imp.cyl.choke not bad at 50yds.what should I use with the rifled barrel rifle slugs? Has anyone used a moss.500 with a rifled barrel and found a certain brand of slug pattering better then another.

TomFromTheShade 09-06-2005 08:40 AM

RE: which rifle slug?

Slugs are expensive! I would go out and get a laser boresighter (something that you will be able to use many times over the years) and get your scope dead on boresighted and then double check the scope by firing some cheap slugs at 20 yards. THEN and only THEN would I move out to 50 yards with the more expensive slugs. I like the Remington Core-Lokt, and Federal Expander with the Barnes slug.

bronko22000 09-07-2005 06:53 AM

Buckhunter - I've been doing alot of reading and testing different slugs in my 870 (see my post in this forum). The Federals with the Tru-ball worked best for me. But this is a smooth bore not a rifled barrel. You may want to try some of the newer saboted slugs in your Mossberg rifled barrel. They may give you better accuracy. Many of the others like the Rem. Sluggers have rifling on the slugs themselves that isn't needed with your barrel. Even with the smooth bore like mine I don't believe this 'rifling' on the slug does much good. Good luck and good shooting.

AJ52 09-07-2005 10:55 AM

buck,
I have 2 Mossberg 500's. 1 smooth bore,1 rifled. I've farted around for years with various slugs. I always went back to Federal rifled slugs and sabots in the rifled barrel. They've given me the best pattern out to 100 yrds+. Thats good news as there cheap and get the job done.
But as already stated every barrel is different. I would start out with couple boxes of cheap 2-3/4" sabots and work up from there. If your lucky you'll find a winner in your 1st 2 boxes. Getting a slug slinger where you want it can be expensive!

I found out the hard way yrs ago if your sighting in with sabots swab/clean that barrel every 4-5 shots to get plastic residue out. I have a new 870 that gets real crazy about a dirty barrel (plastic residue).

Also let the barrel cool off. A clean cool barrel will duplicate your actual hunting conditions.

Good Luck

Rebel Hog 09-07-2005 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: AJ52

buck,
I have 2 Mossberg 500's. 1 smooth bore,1 rifled. I've farted around for years with various slugs. I always went back to Federal rifled slugs and sabots in the rifled barrel. They've given me the best pattern out to 100 yrds+. Thats good news as there cheap and get the job done.
But as already stated every barrel is different. I would start out with couple boxes of cheap 2-3/4" sabots and work up from there. If your lucky you'll find a winner in your 1st 2 boxes. Getting a slug slinger where you want it can be expensive!

I found out the hard way yrs ago if your sighting in with sabots swab/clean that barrel every 4-5 shots to get plastic residue out. I have a new 870 that gets real crazy about a dirty barrel (plastic residue).

Also let the barrel cool off. A clean cool barrel will duplicate your actual hunting conditions.

Good Luck

Good advice!

BOWHUNTERCOP 09-07-2005 11:48 AM

I have many rifled barrel slug guns, and they all love LIGHTFIELD EXPSLUGS. The Shotguns I have are : 1 REMINGTON 11-87 SPS 12ga. took a black bear with it back in 2003 at 50yds., 2 ITHACAS MODEL 37, a 12ga & 20ga, and 2 MOSSBERGS 500 both in 12ga & 20ga. For knock down power with 100yds. my friends and I love the LIGHTFIELD EXP SLUGS. But like others have said on this post, you have to try differnt brands to see what your MOSSBERG likes.

buckhunter3 09-07-2005 01:13 PM

Thanks for the posts I will trydifferent slugs as suggested.

Scott Gags 09-08-2005 06:17 PM

I have had good results with Winchesters 385 grain Partition Gold 50 caliber sabots @1900 FPS which is pretty fast.