Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Opinions on 12 ga slugs >

Opinions on 12 ga slugs

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions on 12 ga slugs

Old 08-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Opinions on 12 ga slugs

Just for giggles, I picked up a 12ga smooth bore barrel with rifle sights for my 870. Its gonna be loaded most of the time with buck shot but I was wondering if anyone has used rifled slug and what they consider the most accurate.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opinions on 12 ga slugs

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Just for giggles, I picked up a 12ga smooth bore barrel with rifle sights for my 870. Its gonna be loaded most of the time with buck shot but I was wondering if anyone has used rifled slug and what they consider the most accurate.
There is no right answer to your question, because every gun is different, and what proves to be a very accurate slug load in one can be very poor in the next, and vice-versa.

In order to determine what shoots best in your slug barrel, I'm sorry to have to inform you that you will have to ACTUALLY SHOOT IT at a range where you can put targets at known distances and shoot from some kind of a rest in order to eliminate human error as much as possible. This is a painful exercise with slugs, as they kick like an African dangerous game rifle!

However, over the years I have noted that Brenneke slugs and the similar Lightfield type are often quite accurate in the 870's. Try several styles/brands, and I'm sure you will find one load that is notably more accurate than other types. I have found that the Brenneke's and Lightfields also evidence considerably better killing power than the lightweight, hollow-base Foster type slugs, which are pretty poor killers despite their impressive diameters.

(IF you're still giggling after shooting severalboxes of slugs from thebench, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Dhin!)
Old 08-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cannnot tell you what that particular 870 will shoot most accurately. And neiither can anyone else. Not until you put a good deal of EVERY slug out on the market thru it and see what kind of results you get.

But I can tell you this. The SMARTEST thing to do is just start out with your basic foster slugs and that would be Remington Sluggers. Don't beat yourself up with 3-inchers, 2-3/4 will do. I say Remington slugs first (cause the 870 is Remington, probobly designed & engineered the barrel using their own ammo, atleast I would think so). Then try some basic foster type slugs from Winchester, etc.... All these slugs, say maybe 4-5 boxes of each times 3-4 mfg's. @ $3/box will give you a pretty darn good low down at a total price of maybe $75 - 80. Then you can try some of the little bit of the basic offerings of "higher end" stuff like Brenneke and Lightfield. Now these are gonna run you more like $5 - 7/box so add another $40 - 70 to your total investigation.

Now, Brenneke has many offerings for your smooth bore barrel and Lghtfield have a good number, too. So adding the $40 - 70 can happen several times over.

Bringing you investigation up to anywhere from $3/350 - (could be) $500.

Getting the absolute best shooting ammo thru your individual gun can, easily cost more than the gun itself. No BS.

I would.................

try 4-5 boxes of sluggers

try 4-5 boxes of Win SuperX

at this point I think you should be shooting 50 yards maybe (for some control) and the difference won't be that great, maybe not be able to tell much or any difference.

try 4-5 boxes of the "plain jane" Lightfields

try the Brenneke Rotweils (the ones with the felt wad attached to the back of the slug by screw).

Something in there has got to put you in the race, my bet would be Rotweil (personally).
Old 08-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Have you ever tried the Brenneke Black Magic smooth bore slug?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guys, I realize I have to try different ones, I'm not new to the shooting world. I just was asking for a place to start without buying a couple boxes of every brand out there. Just looking for a feel as to what you guys shoot and pros or cons on different types.
If anyone using slugs out there can tell me what kind and what kind of groups they're getting, I would appreciate it. At least it would give me a place to start. I did see that one manufacturer is making slugs with a ball behind it to improve accuracy..
Old 08-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think any of the smooties throws slugs that well... Hastings should make a rifled barrel for it fairly inexpensively; both with rifle sights or a scope mount..
Old 08-22-2005, 07:35 PM

For my 870, after shooting various slugs, the best for my smoothbore wasthe Federal 2 3/4" 1 oz. rifled slug... got 3" groups at 100 yds. and at 50 yards... 1" groups. I have found no need for 3" shells. Good luck....
Old 09-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Results are in: 3 - 3 shot groups each from Benneke, Rottweil, Remington, Winchester, Wolf and Federal. Groups fired from 50 yds off rest. Of the 6 brands, the Rottweil slugs weren't bad but the Federals with the tru-ball shot an avg of 3 1/2".
The only problem is that after over 50 rounds in one session with the 870, my shoulder is a might sore to say the least. Just thank God that they weren't 3" shells and only 2 3/4".
Old 09-06-2005, 01:07 AM

1" groups at 50 yards!?!?!

The slugs themselves are what caliber? The holes would have to be touching to get 1" groups. If you can do that then you ar etwice the shooter that most of us are.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tom - Its obvious you didn't read the results too well. The Federals shot 3 1/2" average group size. And by the way, you measure group size from center to center of the farthestholes, not the outside edges.